Miss My Birds So Much! Any ideas to get more?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by barred-rocks-rock, May 14, 2010.

1. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Several months ago, my dog killed all my chickens. I found out what the problem is, and I know how to fix it. I dont care what kind of bird it is, or even how many. I just need something! A few hens, maybe some cayuga ducks, or I am gonna go crazy! The problem is , my parents wont let me get any more birds. Ive tried everything I can think of. My parents always just say "it was a good experiencee" and then say no more chickens. It wasnt a problem having chicken, and it was never trouble for anyone to take care of them(i fed,watered,collected eggs, etc, by my self). I worked SOOO hard to raise these birds and put in time and effort, and then they died and thats the end. My mom always laughs so hard when she tells people about the chickens, and what happened to them, like it's a joke.Just because 'they are chickens".she and her friends laugh about "his chickens" like im not even standing there. Im sick of hearing "gosh, get over it, they're just chickens. They were'nt! I need more! Any ideas to convince them to let me get more?

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Perhaps you could negotiate - is there something they want you to do, but you haven't been doing it? Get better grades, watch less tv, clean room, etc. Could you make a commitment to do something they want if you could get chickens? Also, maybe you could find some free ones on Craig's List or something - free chickens + whatever you negotiate - maybe they would go for it. [​IMG]

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Songster

Perhaps you can get into 4-H or FFA so that your parents can see you taking it seriously as a hobby and how the parents of the other kids in those clubs act as support for thier kids projects? Maybe seeing you get into a structured activity will help them take you seriously. It is possible they didn't care for the chickens and don't want them again, so you may have to wait until you live on your own. Although, in FFA often you can keep your project animal at your school's ag farm/facility.

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks! I already am making good grades, but exams are coming up. Maybe if i got all A's on my exams they would let me. The 4h in my area isnt really good chicken wise,its actuwlly about kindergarten level. The FFA idea is good, except i go to a really tiny private school, and we dont have any of that. I think i might try the negotiate thing. Thanks you guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by