Miss or Mister Light Brahma? New pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BaGAWK!!, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I am stumped [​IMG]...this little beauty I was convinced was a pullet. But now SHE (hey, I can hope can't I?[​IMG]) is showing wattle development and is only 6-7 wks old, standard light brahma. Are there characteristics that can tell me that can show up at this age...maybe a pattern to the black and white? Or do I have to wait? SHE feathered out quickly. Gritsar has helped me with a few of the characteristics, told me to look at the hackle feathers all the way down to the skin. They are rounded hackle feathers on the top layer and the bottom closest to the skin. Very nice bird, doesn't mind being handled. I'm starting to really like him or her [​IMG], and as much as I like my roos for my free-rangers, I sure don't need another one! I will take any help! I'm trying to post pics for the very first time, sure hope it works!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Also, the comb truly looks redder in the photos than it is in real life!

3. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Any guesses?

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I think its a roo? [​IMG]

i hope I am wrong, for your sake [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i think you have a lovely pullet on a roo you should be seeing a lot more comb and bigger wattles

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:X2

7. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Really pullet?! That's great news! You think even at 6-7 wks I would be seeing more comb/wattles? I'm just guessing at age, could be older. I got them from a batch of mixed ages.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'd definitely say pullet!

Looks very girly to me [​IMG]

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Larger breeds often show different feather development between males and females - with males feathering in more slowly. My bantam light brahma boy has feathered in mucch more slowly than your LF. So I will guess pullet!

10. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    YAY all of this has been reassuring...I can totally have Roos where I live but I already have 2. One more wouldn't hurt as I like to have the added protection while they free range. But i already have an EE cockerel in the brooder! I guess I'll be letting you know in a few what this one is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by