Miss Pepper all alone

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eveandmisspepper, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Eveandmisspepper

Eveandmisspepper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    I was just wondering, is it important for hens to be with other hens? I have just 1, I used to have 5 hens but 4 were killed by preditors and 1 was alive in the morning
    when I went out to feed them, then later in the afternoon she was dead!? I found her inside the coop. Now I have just one surrviver. Should I get her at least one
    hen friend? And if I do should I get one thats around the same age as her?

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I'd say yes, at least one friend. Chickens like to have a flock.

But also it's important to get your coop secured from future predators. Do you know what did it?

[​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I think you need more chickens. Seems he or she would get pretty lonely on the roost at night. Plus they like hanging out together.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

2 more, at least... they are a social flock animal. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Eveandmisspepper

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:2 raccoons killed my first hen, then an opossims killed 2 of my hens. The fourth hen I couldn't get her to sleep in the coop, as soon as the sun would start to set she was up in the tree roosting. Well one morning my neighbor knocked on my door and said "I think an owl got your chicken, her remains are in my driveway"[​IMG] My 5th chicken I have no idea what happened to her.....she was alive in the morning then dead in the afternoon?

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:I agree with damselfish. She needs some buddies but definately get your security issues fixed first. It is too sad to lose your wee chickies to predators and/or illness.
    Welcome to BYC and don't give up.

7. Eveandmisspepper

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:I agree with damselfish. She needs some buddies but definately get your security issues fixed first. It is too sad to lose your wee chickies to predators and/or illness.
    Welcome to BYC and don't give up.

My coop is now more secure, thank you [​IMG] And I'm going to have to talk to my husband about getting a hen friend for Miss Pepper! Thanks again for advice

8. little chirpers

little chirpers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I'm so sorry. I'm sure the feeling in the pit of your stomache is sadness and wanting to "get" what hurt your chicks. My daughter just lost 2 of her 3 hens last night, they were only 10 months old. She's 12 and is heartbroken. We think it was a coon. The area has wire and is fenced on all 4 sides. When we got home that night the hinged door( where we get out the eggs) was open. One hen was dragged out and chewed on and the others neck was broken.

The remaining hen is sweet. I just don't know if we should replace them with hens the same age (10 months) or smaller chicks maybe Cleo could raise them or would she hurt them? My daughter is concered that Cleo will be lonely.

My daughter has had horrible luck with the chick rearring process. I got her 3 chicks for Christmas. After 5 weeks it became apparent that 1 chick had a cross-beak that was getting worse and the other chick had splade legs and they had to be culled. (sorry for the spelling errors) The breeder replaced them for the 2 that were just killed last night(they were chicks at the time) Now my girl is down to the one remaining chick again that has survived 1 attack AND physical deformaties.

Thanks for listening, I'm still reelling from the nights events and can't sleep, that's why I'm been up since 3am.
    sorry for your loss.

(I also posted this in the predator section)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have 3 Easter Egger chicks, three dogs, two cats, one mouse,and a bunch-o-fish!!Online

9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I would Get 2 more, just incase if one dies she won't have to go through heartbrake again. I would quarantine though when you buy them.
    [​IMG]

10. little chirpers

little chirpers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Why quarantine? What age would you suggest?
    Thanks for the reply. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by