1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miss Prissy, HELPPPPPP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1mommahen, Apr 25, 2008.

1. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I know you are good at this so here goes, I am on day 19 in still air LG. Temp is good but can't get my humidity above 64%. I have a wet sock and have added water. What now? I did the dry incubation method, but shouldn't I still be at 65% or better? Thanks for your time!:eek:

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I am not MP but I do hatch with LG still airs all the time. You will need to add a bowl of water in the corner if at all possible and then place a few paper towel on the top of the bowl so that they get wet and then hang over the edges to expand your surface area. You would ideally want the humidity at 70%. Once they start hatching you will have a humidty spike from the warm wet chicks but that will be fine. Good luck, Jenn

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I'm not Miss Prissy but 65 is fine. When the eggs hatch the humdity will go up really high. Miss Prissy may say something else but for me anything over 65 makes wet baby chicks that doesn't dry very well.

jackie

4. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks for your input! First time hatching, I think I've aged 10 years in 19 days! If I get some BLRW's it will be worth it! Thanks again:D

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Use a wet sponge, make sure that it is clean. Soak it until it is dripping wet and put it in the incubator. That works great. Just remember to use warm water.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Increase the surface area of the water and the humidity will rise. Use warm water so that the incubator doesn't have to work to heat the water too. I big wet sponge or sock works wonders - make sure they are very clean - never been used.

7. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I bought a brand new sponge for that purpose. I just hate to open the 'bator to put it in but I might have to. Thanks:p

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do hatches in my Lyons which I consider a still air all the time with humidity running between 60 to 70% last 3 days and have no problems with some of the mentioned ways to add humidity.. I use a water pan under my Lyon plus add wet sponges or wet paper towels dipped in a small butter tub...

I try for the higher end of 70%.. and when your chicks start hatching they add humidity to the bator...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  9. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you have to open it to add water, moist towels or a sponge, etc. you can "help" that RH recover quickly by being a bit "messy" about it. Assuming the eggs are up off the bottom (i.e. on the wire mesh) just sprinkle some of that same warm water arround (like my mother used to sprinkle water on shirts for ironing). You get a large surface area of water to boost the RH up in a very short period of time. Make sure that water is plenty warm though.

Good lick [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks everybody, added wet sponge, humidity @ 71%. Should I just keep adding water to it or will it hold there? Thanks again![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by