1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miss Prissy... question re: butter

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by HennysMom, Dec 17, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Oh Wise One [​IMG] Please grace me with your sage knowledge

I read your butter recipe, but I have no "real milk" so my questions are:

If I make butter using heavy cream - how/when/how much do I add honey to it without making it too watery/runny?

Will it be too sweet given cream is already sweet?

How long will it store? Best way to store?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Hennys, I hope I'm not beating MissPrissy to this (or maybe she's busy with her high heels and fishnets), but I think I know the answer to the "sweet" question. I believe they call it sweet simple to differentiate it from purposely salted butter. In other words, it's just the absence of salt, not the addition of a sweetener. So I don't think it will be "too sweet".

Hope I'm right.

PS: I'm such a huge fan of real butter that once, when we were driving through some part of the Twin Cities one summer, we saw a Land O'Lakes factory. Dad stopped the car, got out and did a bowing homage to it - for my sake. I must have been in a bad mood or something and he was trying to jerk me out of it. It worked. Wish I had a picture.

3. HennysMom

Buff

isnt heavy cream the same thing as whipping cream? Thats why I thought it'd be too sweet... like whipped cream?

(okay.. dont laugh.. I see you laughing at me [​IMG] )

4. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

whipped heavy cream is not sweet until you add sugar to it .
    otherwise it is regular cream flavor.

when you make fresh whipped cream you usually add , vanilla and sugar, honey , or powdered sugar.

5. HennysMom

okay.. I knew that.. LOL (duh...) [​IMG] blond moment

so - exactly when do I add honey then to make it sweet creamed honey butter? and how much?

Oh man, this self sufficient / home-made gift giving stuff is really starting to annoy me HA HA HA!

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yeah, what bluebirdfarm said.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sweet butter = unsalted butter

Sweet cream butter = lightly salted butter

Cream comes in a few varieties - whipping cream, heavy cream, heavy whipping cream, baker's cream - it is all based on the % of milk solids in the cream - all unsweetened.

8. HennysMom

Oh THANK GOD She's HERE [​IMG]

Okay Miss P - so which one do I get and use? and how do I do it?

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:She's like the Nanny 911 nannies. There she is on the sidewalk outside your house in her Homemaker Uniform, ready to help with all domestic crises.

My guess on the sweet honey butter is to whip the butter to the extent you want, then add the honey while the butter's still soft.

I had a fancy butter business for a while - sold it at a local deli-bakery. It was called Better Butters, and I had a blast. Both sweet and herbal/spicy whipped butters. Very fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by