Miss Prissy's Homemade Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by congdon476, Jan 14, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Hi all-

I have been looking over Prissy's plans and I am wondering, before I start this endevore, how many of you have had success in using her first model? I noticed she made a dashingly beautiful second one from wood and her first hatch out of the styrofoam didn't go so well. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I have the parts for #1... just need to convince my DH it's worthwhile for him to help construct it.

2. Poultra

Poultra Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Well, I can let you know in about 19 days. [​IMG] I put mine together last week and set eggs Monday night. I think some other folks have had pretty good successes with theirs - perhaps they'll reply and share if they had or not.

Oh, and I put it together myself, with out DH's help. Thank you, MissPrissy for making that possible!!!

Good luck!
    Katie

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Lots of people have made this incubator with their own modifications. I stand by it 100% even in its basic form.

Keep in mind many things effect a hatch and many of those things occur before eggs are placed in an incubator.

If the eggs don't develop or develop and don't hatch you cannot blame your results on the incubator entirely.

Just build one and try it for yourself.

4. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I just put mine together this week and hope to set eggs in it tomorrow night! Thanks to Miss Prissy's wonderful directions, I was able to do it by myself. And it only cost me $15! To me, that is worth trying. Can't wait to see what happens! Good luck with yours, Robyn

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I also built one last year using Miss Prissy's plans. I made a few additions of my own, but it is the same concept and I had a 100% hatch rate with some bantam barred cochin eggs. In fact, I just got it up and running again today to do a fertility test on my barreds. It never hurts to try your luck. Good luck. [​IMG]

6. whudson

whudson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    I built a Prissy-bator last week and set eggs last Friday night.

It's holding temperature between 99.5 and 100.7

In a couple more weeks, I'll know how my first attempt at hatching goes!

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Last year I did my hatch with MissPrissy's incubator. I got a 50% hatch rate overall; about 75% of the ones that started developing. I used shipped eggs. I think I opened the 'bator too many times, and let the humidity fluctuate too much during hatch. I just couldn't leave it alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by