Miss Prissy's yogurt- delicious for chicks & humans

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jost, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Jost

Jost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Hillsborough, NC
    I was writing her a personal email when I realized I should really share with everyone. Miss Prissy's homemade yogurt really was easy to make....and yesterday, I did a taste off with the store bought yogurt and my homemade.... hands down, the winner was Miss Prissy....now, I knew the chickens thought it was best, but when presented to the humans in the family, they voted Miss Prissys as smoother, better appearance (less separation and lumpiness) and my husband even thought I had added sugar or sweetner to the homemade, which of course I did not. I checked the label & there are 15gms of carbs (sugar) per cup in the Stoneyfield container which is 4 cups.... I only used a couple of TBS in the whole batch to introduce the live cultures, so my homemade had scarcely any sugar...good to know for anyone watching their sugar intake. The recipe seems long, but really, it is very easy. Thanks Miss Prissy for sharing- my new chickens get a yogurt snack daily around 3pm....
    On a side note, my recycle will not take any plastic that doesn't have a bottle neck- so I had been sending sour cream & yogurt containers to the landfill- now that I make it from scratch, I am reusing glass quart sz Ball jars... another good thing to come out of making it from scratch! [​IMG] jane

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This is great to know! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it with everyone. I was thinking about making some this weekend, but now I will for sure! [​IMG]

3. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    What a teaser!!! Sounds great, but how can I make some too??

4. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    OK,,,it would be great to share the recipe!!

5. Jost

Jost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Hillsborough, NC
    her recipe is under any reply she gives- also, do a search for yogurt- I just did one for Miss Prissy yogurt recipe and there were lots of testimonials and guidance to get to the recipe.... I think it is also posted under the recipes..... I'm sorry, I just took it for granted everyone knew.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by