Miss Quackers, our "Handi-Quacked" Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shadowhills Farm, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    I don't think I have ever formerly introduced one of our ducks, so here's the Bio on her:

Her name is Miss Quackers, we just call her Quackers or Stinky Duck. She is a Pekin female, almost 1 yrs old. We got her from the Chick Days at our local Tractor Supply (this is when we decided to start raising and keeping poultry). Along the way in her growth, she either had a mineral deficiency OR she did something in the brooder that caused her legs to turn inwards. Now she can't really walk like a normal duck, she wobbles from side to side and sometimes she has to use her wings.

She is a very sweet little girl. Loves to go swimming but doesn't have the oils to let the water run off her feathers. She can only stay in the pool for about 10-15 minutes before she gets cold, even on warm days. She has little "duck freckles" on her bill. She lays good eggs that we cook up and give back to the herd. She's just the all around pet duck.

A problem I'm very concerned about (and it breaks my heart to see this) is her legs and joints. Since her legs are turned inwards, she uses them to the best of her ability and puts A LOT of strain on her feet, legs and joints. Her joints are swollen, warm to the touch (although she doesn't mind you touching the joints or applying pressure). I just feel so bad that I haven't been able to help her get better at all.

I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if she's suffering, as she loves to do different duckie things. Then again, I can't really tell. I'm trying to give her a good life, but Hubby says we might have to cull her, which I don't want to do if I can help it....

Any suggestions? Here is a video( sorry for me talking LOL) and pics of Quackers:

http://tinypic.com/m/8wcqhc/1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    *bump* please?

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    aw, what a sweet ducky! She seems to get around okay even with the turned in feet.

Does she step on her own feet? Is that why she wobbles? She's a smart duck using her wings to help her get around too!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I am also caring for a disabled duck at the moment. She hatched with a slipped tendon and cant walk at all. She gets around by hopping. She is only 7 weeks old at the moment- so I am still waiting to see what other problems she may have as she gets older. Im at work at the moment- but have some useful information at home. I will foward it to you later today.

Wonderful to know there are so many caring people out there who are willing to gives animals a chance first before culling. Some of these underducks really do make the most wonderful pets.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
  6. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    aw, what a sweet ducky! She seems to get around okay even with the turned in feet.

Does she step on her own feet? Is that why she wobbles? She's a smart duck using her wings to help her get around too!

She doesn't seem to step on her own feet a lot, they're just turned in towards each other. Do you have any suggestions as to helping her out or is she OK on her own?

Ducky- Yes please send the info when you get the chance! That would help Miss Quackers and I a lot.

Terrie- Awww she's very cute! Matilda and Quackers look a lot a like! With the feet, the bill and the duck freckles!!​

7. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    The one thing I'm worried about the duck is that it get's trampled by the others but if we separate her form the others she gets upset. She loves company (even our hen, though not as much). I'm hoping the majority of our ducklings will be female. We'll ave to remove most of the males. We wanted to get her a little call drake or duck for company but the breeders here are asking way more than we want to pay for just a pet.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Miss Matilda has her own duck. A blind blue swede named Gramma Grey.

They are dependent on each other and have their own pen.

9. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Miss Matilda has her own duck. A blind blue swede named Gramma Grey.

They are dependent on each other and have their own pen.

LOL I guess we need to find another "Handi-Quacked" duck and build them a special pen [​IMG]

Nettie- Just looked at your Treat List for Ducks. If I got some Brewer's yeast for Quackers, would that be beneficial to her because of her legs? Would it be OK for chickens/ ducks to eat as well?​

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I add brewers yeast to their feed all the time as a supplement, even for my big ducks who are healthy. Not sure about the chickens though, might need to ask in a different subforum here at byc. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by