Miss Red and her flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Vugaris, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Vugaris

Vugaris Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Here are updates on the RIR hen that I had found a month ago. She now has two young flock members and they are very happy chickens. We hope to get eggs come springtime.

In this pic the two young birds look out the window in the coop on a cold day
    [​IMG]

Here they are eating from my hand. Miss Red is in the middle. Penny on the left and Henny on the right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    so cute! nice pictures thanks for sharing!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great pics...

... looks cold there.

4. Vugaris

Oct 28, 2009
    Its moderately cold here in Pennsylvania. 20's - 40's is the temp range right now. We did get some snow this weekend

It is great to see the old hen enjoying some company finally. She is the alpha, so far...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  5. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    From the looks of her, you just might get some eggs sooner than spring. [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Love that first pic! The girls look so cozy and content to just stay inside for the day. It's been terribly cold here too. -14F with the windchill tonight and tomorrow's high temp isn't expected to get much above 15 or so. Brrrrrrr!! All of our girls haven't got the slightest interest in going outside right now. I couldn't even get them to come outside for a bit of lettuce. Spoiled rotten girls made me bring it inside where they were all basking under the heat lamp! [​IMG]

8. Vugaris

Oct 28, 2009
    lol you have a heat lamp for yours? They are some lucky chickens!

Here is a video of my three girls eating out of my hand. Miss red comes in about halfway through the video, she is the bigger hen on the left. The video has sound and you can hear them gobbling up the food and making their little chicken noises...

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Luv those chicks! Enjoyed your video, especially with the volume turned up!

10. Vugaris

Oct 28, 2009
    Henny's first egg! [​IMG]

She scratched out all the straw in the nest box and layed it on the bare wood, so the egg has a dent and small crack in it. We did not eat it just incase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by