1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Miss Sunshine Is Soooo Mean!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickie Mamma, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, Miss Sunshine is my White crested duck (my Avatar). I have introduced her to Rex, my white Pekin. Well, it didn't go so well. My Cayuga didn't mind sharing the run with Rex, no chasing etc. But Sunshine was chasing Rex and pulling on his tail feathers and wouldn't leave him alone. I felt bad for him. He is bigger than her and I was hoping he would have put her in her place, but I guess being raised with a partridge Silkie, he is "chicken". Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get these 2 to get along? Will they be fine over time? Any tricks that anyone has tried and worked? Miss Sunshine is a year old and Rex is 4 months old. Thanks for any help..

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I think they just need to figure out the "pecking order". Mine did this too and it subsided after a few days. I figure its nature and they have to work it out, just like siblings!

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Maybe keeping them where they can see each other but not get to each other for a few days will help them get to know each other. Also can she cause him real damage? if not maybe just let them fight it out.

4. sweetie54

sweetie54 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Mrs sunshine is just putting that boy duck in his place which we should all learn a lesson from!!! lol I wanna do that to my man too???????? No but really put up something so then can see eachother but not to close like a little kiddie fence or some wire!!!! try that for a few days and then just let them go for it and keep watching and scold Mrs sunshine when shes getting to mean ok????? I just bought myself a black baby rabbit !!!!!! I put ii in with my 3 baby chicks to see what would happen and they all got along fine but i just left the bunny in there for a few minutes!!!! I think i'll name my bunny daisy!!!!!!

5. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the replys everyone! Rex and Sunshine see each other alot, when Rex is in the pen, Sunshine is in the outside part of the coop. Could she want to mate? [​IMG] Can she sense that he is a male. I have noticed she has been laying on her eggs before I take them away. I would feel better if he would fight back a little. [​IMG] I will try again tomorrow, I will have more time to be with them. She really just goes for his butt, not his neck or face so I guess I will let it go a little longer each time.. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by