1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

miss_jayne 1, opposum 0 (pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by miss_jayne, Feb 6, 2009.

1. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    chickensnatcher and me were taking feathered chickens out to the little coop to acclimate. on the way back to the house, chickensnatcher spied an interloper!

i chased it down while yelling, "Elizabeth! Get a shovel!" the rest of the story in pics...

oh, really? what's that? i can't hear you! you're toast, Mister!!!

[​IMG]

and take that!

[​IMG]

i win, you lose!

[​IMG]

Vanna, give us a letter...'V' for Varmint!

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Possum, it's what fer dinner.

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Awesome, Miss Jayne...that'll learn it! [​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You really hated that critter didn't you? [​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:my son just got home and saw it hanging on the laundry line. he promptly asked if i was going to cook it for supper! [​IMG]

Quote:i kill you. and then you die!

Quote:only for about 20 seconds. after that, it was just a whacking frenzy.

6. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

We had a possum in what used to be the cathouse (seriously, our cat lived in it) and we found out that 2 possums were in there with the poor thing. My husband went to dispatch it... he had Sarah hold the light, and the darn things ran right between his legs straight for Sarah. My hubby turned into Rambo... but we didn't eat them, lol.

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

good on ya for protecting your flock. Leaving him as a warning to other possums? [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    One winter night I let my Jack Russells out and within minutes I hear a terrible ruckus. I was ready for bed, so I quickly throw on a pair of sweat pants (no shirt no coat), a flashlight and go out to "rescue" my dogs. I find the dogs playing tug of war with a big possum. I finally get the dogs off of it and the thing is lying there "dead". I grab it by the tail and start heading for the house to dispose of it in the trash. The dogs keep jumping up trying to get at the possum so I am forced to hold it over my head to keep it out of their reach. Just before I get the the trash can, the possum decides that he has slept long enough and immediately latches onto my arm. Frantically trying to sling this critter off my arm, I slip in the snow and fall. The dogs immediately grab the possum again so I now have 2 dogs and a possum attached to my arm while I'm rolling in the snow trying to get free of this melee. Moral- never go hunting with just a light.

9. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:I had a bad feeling about playing opossum when I started to read this! OuCH!!!! [​IMG]

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:heck yes.

Quote:that was my mentality. whack whack whack!

Quote:i prefer a 16 gauge, but the docs wont let me use any firearms until the seizure thingies stop. until then, i wield a shovel.

there is a fireman that lives around the corner that found a whole family of possums in his cat food bag. he found them in the dark while scooping the food for the cat. i would have tied it shut and whack, whack, whack!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by