Missed lockdown, had a chick hatch IN turner at 30% humidity!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPox, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I can't believe I screwed up like this, but I sure did!!!

I had an egg due on the 1st. It was only one I had due then. I was on my way to take it out and put it into lockdown in my other bator this morning, when I noticed the little buggar was almost all the way unzipped!! [​IMG]

This little guy was still in the turner (which was turning, thanks to getting one that worked) and the humidity was only 30%!

I freaked, grabbed a wet paper towel.....convinced that I was going to have to carefully pull membrane off. By the time I rushed back to the bator (Hovabator) the little dude had kicked the shell off and was in the turner upside down. I snatched him out and put him in the other bator (which heated up quickly, thank goodness!)

He is a perfectly formed little silkie chick! No membrane sticking at all, no umbilical stuck.....nothing wrong, perfectly normal hatch!

This is how i feel now! [​IMG] [​IMG]

That was scary! Haha!

2. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    [​IMG].That is good news. Congrats

3. destinydot6

destinydot6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Quote:so it hatched on day 20? thats good that its okay! con:celebrategrats

4. f8thnjc

f8thnjc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Wow, it's good to hear stories like this. The conditions at lockdown worry me. You hear so many different things. I am finding that the overall health of the chick inside has a lot to do with it. If its healthy and strong, it can tolerate lots of conditions.
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I've always stressed over lockdown too. I've had chicks make it to lock down to not hatch and it bums me out.....makes me think I've done something wrong. But I suppose there IS a lot to be said for the rigor of the individual!

Thanks, I just had to share!

6. DebbieF

DebbieF Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    New Richmond, WI
    What do broody hens do? They don't typically have a "lockdown" do they? I would assume they continue with business as usual and just wait til the chicks hatch. By rights they are the perfect incubator, although some are less than perfect at it.

7. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I just had the same thing happen! Somehow, I missed an egg that was part of a set due for lockdown on Sunday. Hatching from that set has been going on in my hatcher since yesterday. Well, this morning I heard a scrambling noise from one of my incubators still turning eggs. Hey!!! There was a chick in there riding on the turner bar! It was a black copper marans sitting there all fluffed out and dry. It was a nice clean hatch at 32% humidity. He is now in the brooder all alone because I don't want to open my hatcher while there are pips still in there. I gave him a rolled up sock to cuddle. What a special baby! I might have to keep that one.

I then checked the other eggs in there to make SURE I didn't miss any more. Whew! I'm so glad he hatched out so nice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by