Missed ordering feed - what to give 4-week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoManyHats, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I forgot to get my Countryside Organics order in, and now I can't get grower feed for another 3 weeks. They recommend their starter feed for 2-3 weeks. It has: 21% protein, 2% fat, 6% fiber and is ground finely. The grower feed differs only in that is has less protein (19%) and isn't ground as finely.

Could I mix in some scratch to reduce the overall protein content and give them something bigger to eat? Or should I just resign myself to getting store food to eat until January?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I would go to the feed store and get some regular feed if possible. You can feed them eggs and oatmeal and stuff like that for a few days but I wouldn't do it for 3 weeks.

3. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I have a lot of starter feed still. I was worried it would be too much protein.

4. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    You can feed starter feed up until they start laying. Use up the bag. Feed is expensive.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Use up the starter. No need to waste it. Also if you are trying to keep your pullets organic, you've got to stick with it so I wouldn't be buying regular feed.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'd just go on feeding the starter as close as it is. If you want to lower the protein, like you said, you could just feed them a little scratch, just be sure they have grit if you do. If they aren't happy with how finely ground the starter is now that they are older, you could wet it down, most chickens will happily eat it that way, (or get into fermenting it). I usually feed all of mine a 20% starter and cut with grain to whatever I want.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Finish the starter. I also feed my birds a higher protein feed all the time--I think it's 20 or 21%. Everyone gets this feed, all ages and genders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by