Misshaped eggs with lines across shells, Help?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samlydia, Feb 12, 2015.

1. samlydia

samlydia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Hi Everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice here. As you can see below, we have been getting these misshaped eggs with lines across them, we've had about 6/7 now. We don't know which of our 4 large birds are laying these and they all seem to be of good health. Is there anything to be concerned about here, any diseases that are related to these eggs? And Lastly are these eggs ok to eat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many Thanks

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If it's just misshaped I'd still eat it, but if they're cracked I would pass. You don't know how much bacteria got in there. You can cook them and feed them back to the flock though if you're worried about waste.

What do you feed them?

3. samlydia

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Layers pellets and corn in the evening. What do you think too the wrinkled lines?

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. samlydia

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the comment its strange because they have access to oyster shell grit daily. Something to mention is that of our 4 large birds its only one that is laying these as I'm only getting 1 every other day. Now one has just come out of a moult and another, who is now over a year old, hasn't come into lay yet. So 1, is this something that may be common in hens that have just come out of moult, or 2 could this be the hen that may have come into lay and I just haven't realised. I have 17 smaller hens, pekins, sablepoots etc that are all laying fine?

6. samlydia

Aug 21, 2013
    England
    No, no roo, but that links interesting thank you. Your right it does seem to be very similar to 4. Not quite sure what to do

7. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    If they're only coming from one hen then she may be at the bottom of the pecking order. Or maybe she's just easily spooked. I would try to put some time into observation.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Maybe cut back on the corn for a while. It's like the equivalent to candy for us nutrition wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by