Misshapen eggs for months - what gives?

genesis1981

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
I have a year old blue hen (breed is a bit of a mystery) who has been laying bumpy deformed eggs for months now. Every once in a while her egg is perfect but 90% of the time they are super bumpy. She eats her oyster shell, I’ve seen it. She’s very happy and healthy and lays consistently. She’s a very tiny bird compared to the rest but she’s not even the bottom of the pecking order. Do I need to worry about these eggs? Pics attached. Hers is the very pale beige that has bumps!

Attachments

• 3AF2B6CE-4E37-4312-AAB8-9EF49793DEC1.jpeg
    3AF2B6CE-4E37-4312-AAB8-9EF49793DEC1.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 31
  • B721B986-9D8E-40B7-914D-3DBFC20408DE.jpeg
    B721B986-9D8E-40B7-914D-3DBFC20408DE.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 26
Yea every once in a blue moon her egg is perfect!
I am only posting to see if anyone says I should be concerned, if I can be doing something to help her out I certainly will. Looks like it would be uncomfortable to lay an egg like that. But then again laying an egg at all has to be a literal pain 🤣

Yea every once in a blue moon her egg is perfect!
I am only posting to see if anyone says I should be concerned, if I can be doing something to help her out I certainly will. Looks like it would be uncomfortable to lay an egg like that. But then again laying an egg at all has to be a literal pain 🤣
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I get some weird “cone head” shaped eggs once in a awhile and some with extra bumps and calcium build up , doesn’t seem to be an issue

We had 2 chickens who did this after a month of two of not laying. We decided that they got some chicken illness that made them lay funky eggs. They went on to live long and well, they just continued to lay funky eggs.

Sounds like dodgy shell gland. She might be at higher risk for stuck egg or internal laying issues, but not really much to be done about it beyond making sure she has adequate calcium, nutrition and other living conditions.

Back
Top Bottom