Misshapen Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mad4horses, Feb 11, 2012.

1. mad4horses

mad4horses Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Verona, WI
    My hen just started laying. She has laid 7 eggs so far. The last 2 have had "crinckley" looking shells. It was milder weather when she started but the last couple of days have been colder. Is this ok? I haven't changed any of their feed or routine. Any ideas ?
    Thanks!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When a pullet is new at laying, a lot of things can happen, including wrinkled eggs and eggs without shells. One of mine laid a couple of really strange wrinkled eggs when she was young. As long as she is getting proper nutrition, including calcium (either in the food or along with it) it's most likely just one of those oddities.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, and [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can get all sorts of weird eggs from a new layer. Just getting the kinks out of the egg factory. Perfectly normal.

5. mad4horses

mad4horses Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Verona, WI
    Thank you for the helpful comments! I didn't think anything is wrong but I'm a newbie to chickens so I did worry a little. This is fun and great to get help like this.
    I'm completely addicted to them and plan to build a bigger coop.

6. momdogz

momdogz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Welcome![​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are easy to get addicted to - it's called Chicken Math. [​IMG]

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yup, totally normal for newbies. Once her reproductive system gets a little practice, they'll straighten out. It may be interesting for you to take a look at how eggs are made and what other types of odd eggs you might come across as you perfect your chicken math skills. :) I wrote this blog post on the subject: http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html Best wishes to you and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by