misshapen pupil *pics added*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, May 15, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have an aprox. 8 week old blue copper marans pullet that I bought in a trio at a show in April. I noticed recently that one of her eyes has a misshapen pupil. (of course I didn't notice when I bought her [​IMG] ) She seems to be perfectly healthy otherwise. I can try to get a picture if it helps. But it's like indented in a couple of places. Anyone have any ideas? I don't think it's mereks, I have had her for over a month and she hasn't shown any signs of illness. But some re-assurance would be nice [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    My first thought was Markes too... hmmmmm [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont think it's marek's neither, there would be other signs. Here's a pic of a normal eye compared to one with ocular marek's.
    [​IMG]

4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok I finally got a decent picture...the more I look at it the more it looks like the iris and not the pupil, as you can see there is a dark color like brown on the iris where it should be gold color and some of the right color coming though in one spot. The others don't have this problem. I am feeling pretty bummed b/c this trio was not cheap and it's looking like I may have been swindled into two roosters and the only for sure hen has this eye issue. I got them for breeding, this is pretty discouraging.

[​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My rooster has something kinda like that. He is as healthy as can be, the best roo I've ever owned. Here's a pic of his eye, dont know if you can see the extra "black" around the iris. ETA: Directly to the right on his iris and a smaller one towards the bottom. Must be a genetic thing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by