Missing all Neck Feathers and Butt Featers...what's is wrong?!pic link

carbon county chicks

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
So I went to my brother's house today who is pretty inexperienced when it comes to raising chickens. I took a look at his birds and saw this one. Link to picture:

http://minus.com/mbUy81O

What is wrong with her? I've never seen this! I've seen chickens molt but never look like this. I looked for mites but didn't see any on her. I thought it might not hurt to dust her for mites. HELP!

Last edited:
It's definitely not a roo. He's has her for a year and a half and she lays roughly every day. She is a Plymouth Rock and had neck feathers for the first year and a half.

Then I absolutely have no idea!!!!
smile.png

She is not the only chicken there but she is definitely at the top of the food chain. Her and 1 other chicken are the ring leaders of the group. I really don't think she's getting pecked but I guess you never know.

I would of said naked neck also but since she is not, is there any rooster in her pen. They will pluck the feather out. We had an OEGB that had lost all her head feathers. We never saw them pluck her but when we took the hen and cock out of cage after a while she began to get her feather back.

No roosters in with her. They live in the city and can't have roosters. Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I am so worried about her!

It looks to me like someone is picking at her. They don't just pick feathers when theyre being mean, they will also pull feathers when theyre grooming each other. I have a rooster who LETS the ladies pull his feathers out! Every once in awhile I put some "no pick" on him. It's a horrible tasting stuff, it has some kind of tar in it...it's specially made for stopping chickens from picking at one another. If they should happen to draw blood they can all go into cannibal mode.
sad.png

Mr Peeps Mama is right. If the others are plucking her feathers and begin to draw blood they will try to eat her. We used the stuff mentioned on baby chicks and it did not stop baby chicks from plucking and eating each other. We had to remove the one who they were eating and then try to determine the one who was plucking. If you can determine the plucker, you may have to isolate that one or get rid of it. It is a bad habit and is hard to stop. So try separation and see how it goes. It may a bit for the feathers to come back but you will begin to see fine feathers growing back in.
I did have a OEGB hen that plucked feathers on the head of the other OEGB hen.

Back
Top Bottom