missing birds-only a small puddle of blood

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cjbuchholz, Feb 11, 2014.

1. cjbuchholz

cjbuchholz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Missing full grown hens lately. Fenced yard, open door on coop. Only trace is maybe a tablespoon of blood. We're losing maybe one or two a week. No feathers, bodies, etc. in the coop, yard or perimeter. Guessing a hawk or owl but any suggestions?

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Not a hawk, there would be blood, same with an owl. It could be a fisher cat, they scale walls like a maniac, and I have caught them in the act before! Fence the top in if you can, or close the door at night

3. cjbuchholz

cjbuchholz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Interesting . . . Not sure if we have those in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, but maybe something along those lines. Appreciate the feedback.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can a fischer cat scale a fence with a large dead chicken?

No feathers or body left behind???
    Must be something rather large to kill and remove body without a fuss.

What kind of 'fenced yard'?
    Why don't you lock up your coop at night to protect your chooks?

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes a good sized fisher could carry a chicken over a fence my grandmother had one make off with her RIR rooster years ago over the top of a wood slat snow fence run

6. Roo Boy

Roo Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Had a hawk kill one of mine a few weeks ago. There was not a lot of blood on the snow too. Sorry for your loss.

7. Cluckysnap123

Cluckysnap123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2014
    RIP chicken. I lost half my flock to a fisher once, and I only get ex battery hens (I'm vegetarian) and don't take their unless (odd alert) they lay them inside the fenced off area inside because I feel like they are gifting the eggs. They know that I leave them alone when they lay outside (They are pretty smart, I must admit) and they all crave cherry tomatoes.

8. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Any cat species has an amazing ability to carry other heavy animals just like lions can carry an entire antelope up in a tree. Cats species creatures are a hard animal to catch and I know in are area bobcats are fairly common and are illegal to kill so you have to be careful watch you do with them. A live trap is always a good option. Put a can of cat food or some kind of bait and youll be amazed at what youll actually catch. I also put an old trail cam on a post in my run and have caught numerous animals snooping around at night.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Fishers are not cats, I have no idea why they call them fisher cats in some parts of the country, a fisher is a very large weasel/mink like animal it is very closely related to the pine marten only will grow much larger. They don't look like cats nor are they built like a cat, more like a cross between a weasel and a wolverine LOL.

10. Farmer Brian

Farmer Brian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    THANK YOU! I didn't think anyone knew the difference any more. I cringe every time I hear someone add CAT to the end of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by