missing birds...

Pippomky75

Chirping
Nov 11, 2017
Fallon, NV
We have over forty chickens on our farm. I noticed all but one of my Ameraucanas are missing. There is no sign of predators. We have had coyotes in the past, it's pretty obvious when they take a chicken, same for hawks and owls. We are in the desert of Nevada, so any predators leave lasting tracks that only rain can erase, and we haven't seen rain in months. So, no tracks no feathers, and the only chickens missing are the Ameraucanas, everyone else is accounted for. It is a real mystery, any ideas out there? Has anyone ever heard of folks stealing other folks birds? It's the only thing I can think of.

Could be humans. Did the Ameraucana stick together? I have had coyote snatch multiple birds in a day with hardly a sign, so a predator isn't impossible. Game cameras can sometimes help identify what is taking them.

:welcome Strange :confused: How about human tracks ? Odd that only those would be missing . How long missing ? Is there a chicken swap close to you ? People will steal anything . If you think this is the cause maybe you should consider tattooing for ID . On the other hand a large aerial predator. Such as an eagle would be the only thing that wouldn't leave tracks . How many did you lose ?

:welcome Strange :confused: How about human tracks ? Odd that only those would be missing . How long missing ? Is there a chicken swap close to you ? People will steal anything . If you think this is the cause maybe you should consider tattooing for ID . On the other hand a large aerial predator. Such as an eagle would be the only thing that wouldn't leave tracks . How many did you lose ?
no tracks that I can see. 5 days, noticed after 12-18 hours, not sure about the swap, we have hawks, they usually leave feather exposions. We lost 6 total

They did stick together, so that is a possibility. Any advise on the coyote?
They prey twenty four seven tend to wonder all over but will follow a fresh small game sent . Blind hunt early morning from daybreak to an hour after . Hour before dusk till dark . Some you can time some you can't . They have a circuit that travel . If you can learn that you can kill them . City coyotes easy to kill country much harder .Good luck

They prey twenty four seven tend to wonder all over but will follow a fresh small game sent . Blind hunt early morning from daybreak to an hour after . Hour before dusk till dark . Some you can time some you can't . They have a circuit that travel . If you can learn that you can kill them . City coyotes easy to kill country much harder .Good luck
Damn. We're country. Thanks

They did stick together, so that is a possibility. Any advise on the coyote?
Coyote are my worse nightmare. They are wicked smart and can learn your patterns and those of your chickens. The only solution for us is shooting at or shooting the coyote. It can take time and skill to catch them in the act. Locking up your chickens is the other option.

One year I had a young coyote who would come around after my husband left for work and than would skedaddle by the time I got out to feed the chickens. It took a total of 10 birds and almost 2 months before my husband finally got a shot off at it. Coyote are persistent and will keep coming back. If more birds go missing than that would be my guess.

Coyote are my worse nightmare. They are wicked smart and can learn your patterns and those of your chickens. The only solution for us is shooting at or shooting the coyote. It can take time and skill to catch them in the act. Locking up your chickens is the other option.

One year I had a young coyote who would come around after my husband left for work and than would skedaddle by the time I got out to feed the chickens. It took a total of 10 birds and almost 2 months before my husband finally got a shot off at it. Coyote are persistent and will keep coming back. If more birds go missing than that would be my guess.
wow! I had no idea they are so... well wily! I thought they only hunted at night, so we lock down just before sunset. And I do adhere to a ridged schedule. I think I will vary my routines a bit. I have no problem shooting one if opportunity arises. they are such a devilment to the local farms and ranches the county offers $15 a head out here. They are so destructive. Thanks for the good advice. BTW- are you form New England? The "wicked" caught my eye, I lived there most of my life.

From Wisconsin. Seems our varmints here are tougher than the average ones. My vet tech got a goat killed by coyote, so far mine have been safe. We keep 3 donkeys that help with keeping predators at bay, though sometimes they don't always do their job. We are surrounded by a Coyote pack, and they occasionally come in our yard. They are one predator that worries me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom