Missing Birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lastonein, Aug 8, 2011.

1. lastonein

lastonein Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    [​IMG] In the past 2 days I've lost 2 of my pullets that are just ready to lay. I live in the country and am surrounded by woods and uncut fields. There is just no sign of them I started out with 6 birds now down to 4 and am heart sick. I have an illness that is taking my life and the stress of losing there 2 birds ( Goldie and Erin) is really to much. I'm 64 and have tears just running down my face worrying about these 2 girls. Not sure what to due. Just had to tell someone.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    My heart goes out to you.

3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

4. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    There is a chance they are broody and sitting at a secret nest...Mom has 2 hens sharing a sit now and since they free range they had snuck and started a hatch! The only way she found them was by following her roo around...hope this is so for you...[​IMG]... I am not sure if hens go broody with no roo though,I am sure someone on here will know!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds like a predator is taking them. I would stop free ranging them until you figure out what is going on. Good luck at protecting the rest.

6. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm sorry for your loss. I've had hens go missing then come back in a couple days (never longer than that). If you're in western PA or eastern Oh and I can do anything to help, send me a pm.

7. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I agree, you may have lost them to a hawk. Stop free ranging until the predator moves on. I'm sorry you lost your girls. But I would look for a nest as suggested. My oldest group just started laying and then I added the JR group into the coop and the girls stopped laying everyday. Even though most started back up, I found a nest in our hay barn last night. A few more days and I'll bet I would have found a broody on the pile!

So sorry for your situation and I hope that you find peace watching the others poop and peck as I like to call it. [​IMG]

8. lastonein

lastonein Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I found some feathers in the woods. I just came back with a have a heart trap. I bating it with a chicken leg, what ever I catch will be disposed of. I really feel bad the birds trusted me to protect them and I did bad job. I'll get the killer sooner of later.

9. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I am sorry to hear of the attack. I put a six foot tall plastic fence on metal polls around where they 'graze'. It keeps them protected during the day. At night they go into the coop to sleep. One other thing to consider is once the predators have found your flock they will hang around. I have been considering getting a puppy and raising it in the coop with the chickens. It would want to protect it's 'pack'. I haven't tried it but it seems like it would work.

10. dapperp

dapperp New Egg

May 21, 2011
    I am so sorry to hear about your chickens. Mine was attacked last night and is gone as well. I think a raccoon ate her. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by