1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing "butt" feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaStrawberryMom, Apr 1, 2011.

1. LaStrawberryMom

LaStrawberryMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Louisiana
    Newbie here. Just picked up 12 Barred Rock pullets from local feed & seed today. Got home to put in the brooder and see that 2 have missing "butt" feathers. One has just a small spot but the other basically has no feather/fuzz at all. Do they have something wrong with them? Should I isolate them from the others? Could this be a result of being in "close quarters" with too many others and a result of feather pulling? What should I do? HELP PLEASE! I am very concerned. Thank You!

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    If they are baby chicks, then the butt fuzz may have been rubbed off when someone was fixing a "pasting up" problem. I know we rubbed a little fuzz off ours when fixing "pasting up". See here to learn a little about it: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/09/12/raising-day-old-chicks/

Anyway
    , as long as the other chicks don't pick at this area, they should grow new feathers soon and should be fine.

3. LaStrawberryMom

LaStrawberryMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thank you! I have read about pasting up but somewhat freaked when I saw missing fuzz! I will keep an eye on them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by