Missing chest feathers and feathers looking freyed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggCrazy42, Dec 11, 2016.

1. EggCrazy42

EggCrazy42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    Northern Illinois
    A few months ago I noticed my two older chickens were missing their chest feathers and looked like their other feathers were freying. I thought it was mites and treated the whole flock for mites doing a DE bath and coop clean out several weeks in a row. I never saw mites it was just my guess. They didn't get better so I de-wormed them. Shortly after one died and two haven't laid in months... since that de-worming.
    Now last week my dog was diagnosed with coccidia, and he had been by the chicken coop a lot. I have since [​IMG]treated them with corrid. So my question is could coccidia be causing the chickens to stop laying and have their feathers looking so bad? I've been feeding feather fixer formula since this started and can't figure out what's going on with my flock?!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

don't worry1 they are molting and it is perfectly normal. in the fall/winter hens molt out their old worn out feathers for new ones. hens don't lay while they molt either.

3. EggCrazy42

EggCrazy42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    Northern Illinois
    The ones that stopped laying are newer easter egger chickens though that I got in the spring. They started laying their colorful eggs and I haven't seen the eggs since the de-worming which was probably 2 months ago.

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

when chickens molt, they stop laying. it is weird for hens to molt during their first year, but several of mine did, and they are back to laying as usual

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by