Missing chick

DaniMomma

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2017
I had a broody hatch a chick a couple of days ago. She was in a corner of the coop and very protective, and we would go I to check on them every few hours. But last night the chick was gone without a trace. I've heard of other hens killing a chick, but wouldn't there be some evidence of that happening? I've had some snake problemsin the past so that was my original guess. Is that the most likely reason a chick would disappear without a trace?

Generally if another chicken kills a chick there's a body, sometimes they can be hard to spot and can sink into the bedding, so look carefully and thoroughly.

Last year I had a chick repeatedly get stuck in my hens feathers, so check the hen over well too, it could be there, mine was alive, but stuck.

Some predators that can snatch them inside are rats, cats, and weasels. Outside I've had chicks taken by crows.

A chick is too big for another chicken to eat, so I don't think that's what happened.

I had a big black snake sneak in to my coop a couple weeks ago and get 5 of my 7 chicks I had under a broody. Gone without a trace. Moved the remaining two chicks inside to a brooder. Got a couple barn cats to get rid of the mice and hopefully the snakes will go somewhere else for an easy dinner :(

So sorry for your loss!

Yes, we checked the coop and run pretty thoroughly last night and then again today. No trace of a body, and it wouldn't be able to get out.

I've pulled 5-6 foot snakes out of the coop before I'm starting to think we just can't have chicks in there because even if the coop is snake proof, the run won't be, and the door separating the coop and run is open all day. I was really looking forward to having a broody raise my chicks for me bc brooders are a pain

I lost 8 chicks to snakes last years... we have enormous olive pythons where I live that grow big enough to eat small kangaroos, piglets etc. Some Of the chicks were 12 weeks old when they were taken... he would sneak in once a week... I have no idea how he kept getting in.. snakes are very hard to keep away once they know there's a meal to be had.

Yes, we checked the coop and run pretty thoroughly last night and then again today. No trace of a body, and it wouldn't be able to get out.

I've pulled 5-6 foot snakes out of the coop before I'm starting to think we just can't have chicks in there because even if the coop is snake proof, the run won't be, and the door separating the coop and run is open all day. I was really looking forward to having a broody raise my chicks for me bc brooders are a pain

This year to keep my chicks safe from snakes I bought a portable gazebo with the insect mesh walls and waterproof roof and floor. I put my usual chook bedding over the entire floor and put mama hen in there to get comfy while she was still on eggs. When the eggs hatched I didn't have to move them to a safer place. 2 weeks in and no losses. I live in a very hot climate so the mesh provides excellent ventilation and keeps insects out too. It's a 3m x 3m hexagonal style gazebo from an online bargain store for $60.

My chickens don't free range. They have a coop and a large run that is fully enclosed with chicken wire. I close them in the coop during the night. We have way too many predators for me to feel comfortable letting them free range, although I wish I could.

Did your chicks stay inside all the time with mommy or did they come outside occasionally if yes did you let them free range cause that's where a crow comes in

This year to keep my chicks safe from snakes I bought a portable gazebo with the insect mesh walls and waterproof roof and floor. I put my usual chook bedding over the entire floor and put mama hen in there to get comfy while she was still on eggs. When the eggs hatched I didn't have to move them to a safer place. 2 weeks in and no losses. I live in a very hot climate so the mesh provides excellent ventilation and keeps insects out too. It's a 3m x 3m hexagonal style gazebo from an online bargain store for $60.

I think we're going to have to do something like this if I want to let a broody do the raising for me. We have a large dog pen I can do some modifications to.

Back
Top Bottom