Missing Chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PattiXmas, Mar 4, 2009.

1. PattiXmas

PattiXmas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Hi, I am missing a baby chick. I had our chick cam on today and am just checking to see if anyone was viewing it and if they saw anything odd or funny. My boston is going crazy. She is pacing, panting and whining now when she gets near the x-pen. When we cleaned the boxes today, we noticed chicken poop on the floor and were wondering why but thought nothing much until Kippy kept acting up and now that we counted the birds, I am missing one:(. If anyone was viewing the Chick cam and saw something, please, please PM me. I was gone from the house from about 2:00 until 5:00 ish so if you saw anything, please let me know.

Thank you:)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Who is Boston? formerly hungry Dog? Cat?

3. PattiXmas

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Quote:Kippy my boston terrier. I hope she didn't do anything, but I am starting to lose hope. I guess I'll just watch her the next day or two. I will probably have to bring her crate in for her when I leave in the future. She's only 15 pounds and I know she can't jump the x-pen so we are really confused....

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry for your loss, dogs and chickens sometimes don't make good bedfellows.

5. PattiXmas

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Quote:Thanks. We just wish we could find some type of evidence, there is nothing - no feathers, no bones, no blood. Kipp didn't even have anything on her, just her actions are way off, panting and going crazy around the pen and the fact that we are 1 bird short:(.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Maybe she just chased it and the poor little thing is hiding in a warm spot in the house? That could be a reason she is so anxious other than being a boston :lol

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I've never known a chicken eating dog to stop at one. I wonder if the chick got out and is hiding and the dog knows it and that's why it's pacing. If it's a newborn it could have died somewhere in the house without a heat lamp. Sure hope you find your baby.

8. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    ANy peeping? I would go around the house and listen for peeping. I hope you find it. Goodluck, -Jay

9. PattiXmas

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    No peeping other than what's in the boxes. I don't think one got out on it's own. We have a screen on top to keep them in. The dogs can't get to them because we have a 3' x-pen around them. I think my 21 yr old "freeloader" might have gotten one out to play with and Kippy might have been involved in the play. My other dogs could care less about them anymore. Kippy is just acting like she thinks they are her play toys now and she wants them bad. We'll be searching the house in hopes that I am wrong, but right now the way she is acting.........

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If I am understanding this, no way the dog could have gotten them? I have Jack Russells and this is one reason my older chicken do not free range. I keep my chicks closed in my spare bathroom.

You think a 21 year old, I am assuming child got one out to play with it?

I think I would be asking said 21 year old to fess up, if something happened you need to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by