Missing chicken after Hawk in yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Savannah Chick, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Savannah Chick

Savannah Chick New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Hello. My chickens free range in my fenced yard all day. Today I heard some commotion and came out to a hawk sitting on the fence. He flew off as soon as I came out. My girls were justifiably scared and ran to hide. But one of my 4 is now missing. I don't see any sign of an attack (feathers, etc) and have read that hawks are not normally large enough to carry away a full grown chicken. My missing girl is an excellent flyer (despite having clipped wings) and has flown over the fence before when threatened.

Am I being overly optimistic to think she "flew the coop" and is hiding?? Is it possible she could've been snatched up by a hawk with no sign of struggle or attack?? No sign of her for 3 hours now.

Thanks in advance.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think until you have evidence otherwise I'd consider her alive. My birds are TERRIFIED of anything that flies overhead and scatter for any and all cover they can get. She may just be laying low until she knows the coast is clear. Fingers crossed!! [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    One can always hope.
    Has she flown back over the fence to return to the yard in the past?

4. Savannah Chick

Savannah Chick New Egg

Feb 24, 2015

Yes - she would be able to get back. It's been almost 24 hours, my hopes are dwindling for sure. [​IMG]

5. Savannah Chick

Savannah Chick New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    She came home! I heard a distress call early this morning (still dark out and raining) and found my girl in the clutches of an opposum! He let her go and she seems perfectly fine! Wet and ruffled feathers and 2 days of adventure she'll never be able to tell me about. I have her inside in a box to rest....I can't believe she is still alive!

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Yay - I love a happy ending!

7. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    A lucky li'l girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by