Missing chicken after Hawk in yard

Savannah Chick

Hatching
Feb 24, 2015
Hello. My chickens free range in my fenced yard all day. Today I heard some commotion and came out to a hawk sitting on the fence. He flew off as soon as I came out. My girls were justifiably scared and ran to hide. But one of my 4 is now missing. I don't see any sign of an attack (feathers, etc) and have read that hawks are not normally large enough to carry away a full grown chicken. My missing girl is an excellent flyer (despite having clipped wings) and has flown over the fence before when threatened.

Am I being overly optimistic to think she "flew the coop" and is hiding?? Is it possible she could've been snatched up by a hawk with no sign of struggle or attack?? No sign of her for 3 hours now.

Thanks in advance.

I think until you have evidence otherwise I'd consider her alive. My birds are TERRIFIED of anything that flies overhead and scatter for any and all cover they can get. She may just be laying low until she knows the coast is clear. Fingers crossed!!
smile.png

She came home! I heard a distress call early this morning (still dark out and raining) and found my girl in the clutches of an opposum! He let her go and she seems perfectly fine! Wet and ruffled feathers and 2 days of adventure she'll never be able to tell me about. I have her inside in a box to rest....I can't believe she is still alive!

Back
Top Bottom