Missing chicken after windy night

burgescm

Hatching
Oct 23, 2016
We have a chicken coop in the back of our barn and we latch the door and put a big stick in it - never had a problem until Friday night it was extremely windy and we woke up Saturday and noticed the chickens were roaming the yard. We realized the wind must have knocked the stick out and blown the door open. We were missing two hens:( one is my favorite she is so loving and has become like a pet in some ways. We found a trail of feathers and **graphic** one chickens head:( I'm guessing a fox?? Never found any other body parts. And not enough feathers to be from multiple chickens. Should I drop the hope sherry or the other hen will Return? It's been two days now...I hope she's hiding but she hasn't come back to the coop yet.

welcome-byc.gif

It's always the favorites... Sorry for your loss. You never know, she may come back, but I'm guessing she probably got nabbed along with the other one.

Really sorry to hear this
hit.gif
But I'm a realist. I think both are gone for good. The fox's point of view is " groceries"

I lost a pigeon today. Did not return this evening. I'm sad but not much I can do about it.

Sad terms, but
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you - yeah I am new to chicken ownership (my boyfriend and I inherited a nice coop when he bought his house) so we've only had these chickens for about 5 months or so now. I didn't think I could get so attached to a chicken haha!

Aw I am sorry for your loss as well - I guess its the circle of life.

start searching for your chicken. Immediately! before you go out and search. bring his/her favorite bag of food. you can also ride on a car. do not give up when searching at night. you must bring a flashlight. Listen. If you hear a chicken clucking. it is a chance that it is your chicken. if he or she is injured. take her to vet

you have to start searching. outside and inside. bring his/her favorite food while you go. listen for pigeon sounds. when searching at night. make sure you bring a flashlight. if he or her is injured. QUICKLY take him or her to the vet

We have a chicken coop in the back of our barn and we latch the door and put a big stick in it - never had a problem until Friday night it was extremely windy and we woke up Saturday and noticed the chickens were roaming the yard. We realized the wind must have knocked the stick out and blown the door open. We were missing two hens:( one is my favorite she is so loving and has become like a pet in some ways. We found a trail of feathers and **graphic** one chickens head:( I'm guessing a fox?? Never found any other body parts. And not enough feathers to be from multiple chickens. Should I drop the hope sherry or the other hen will Return? It's been two days now...I hope she's hiding but she hasn't come back to the coop yet.
Or a raccoon pulled the stick out.

Use a caribineer or a padlock or a spring clip hook.

Wow I didn't even think of that! Since it happened I've been stacking cinderblocks against the door but a caribineer is a great idea, thank you!

Wow I didn't even think of that! Since it happened I've been stacking cinderblocks against the door but a caribineer is a great idea, thank you!
Not that a raccoon might not be able to get a caribineer off too...or spring clip.....padlock only real guarantee.

I agree. Coons have very handy hands, and they are smart. You must have a latch that they are unable to open by manulipation. They can also climb, and dig, and are handy of trying to eat chickens through wire...and can be somewhat successful. Anywhere there is wire, it needs to be hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom