missing chicken was laying under the house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by picklespickles, Oct 31, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    ha. this has always been the chicken to go off on her own. i would walk the property perimeter over and over and never find her. i know where the others like to go, up in the trees, in the woodpile, etc. except for her. she used to go up in the trees, too, but then when i got more chickens, she became a loner and more broody. every so often, she would suddenly appear. so i knew that she did have to be on the property because she would just as suddenly disappear.

today, i thought, okay, i'm in my work clothes but i bet she's under the house. i went in under where the gas line goes in and yes, there was an ages old nest. the eggs had that light almost empy feel and you could shake them and hear the liquid so i knew they weren't for people.

so, i took them inside, cracked them up added odd leftovers, and cooked them in the microwave for her. she can have it tomorrow when i get home. picking out the shells is always their favorite part.

i left her a couple of eggs in there to keep her going back to the same place. i always did that before, too, but then with the new hens, she changed her m.o.

anyway. i had a serious sense of conquest. AHA, i found your nest. lol.

i was seriously starting to wonder if there was a snake who was eating eggs.

i have a few things to do but maybe later i will close up under the house and let her find a new place. i had closed it up before, there is just a small crack now. the GOATS used to go under during the summer. i would be in my bedroom and hear BUMP from under my house. lol.

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So you want her to lay there? Congrats on finding the place! (Isn't a coop easier?[​IMG])

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I had my banties laying in some of the craziest places this summer. I have an old frame that I made for the hens to have their own "section" that I put under an old window awing I use for shade in their pen. I took it out at one point and leaned up against the side another when cleaning, then forgot about it. Somewhere down the line, it fell over and I have an old plastic resin bench that the turkeys tried to roost on and knocked it over, and it kind of covered the frame. I went to clean up the clutter later on, and found about a dozen eggs in the frame. I also had a feeder top set aside, and in it I found about a dozen eggs from a loose Easter Egger. Then there was the old, rusted burn barrel missing a side...I found a couple dozen in there, along with about half a dozen in a corrigated culvert against the fence...some in a hole wallowed out behind the pen by the fence...the list goes on. We won't even go into how well my turkey hen hid hers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

well........I am currently on the hunt for where my hens took up laying their eggs............. wish they would use the boxes, but NO........I bet they get as much of a kick watches me search for the eggs as I do watching them during the day ! [​IMG]

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Quote:So you want her to lay there? Congrats on finding the place! (Isn't a coop easier?[​IMG])

It is a lot of fun finding eggs! It's like easter!

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    One of my chickens, Leeza, disappered on me....just vanished. Couldn't find her anywhere...looked for like 1/2 hr. Finally, heard a rustle come from my neighbors compost pile. There she was, just layed an egg, but.....there were 14 eggs there!!! [​IMG] I had no idea she was laying elsewhere. Mia use to lay in the garage, but after a week of being locked in the coop and run for a week while we were in Flordia, she has started laying in the nest. Was kind of fun finding the egg in the garage, tho. Mia just loves looking thru every thing in the garage, tho. Funny. [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I think it's a good idea to know where your hens are laying LOL
    We had a duck who would hide a nest. I would find it and remove all the eggs. So then she would find a more hard to find place to hide her nest and I would find it and remove the eggs and so on and so on.
    Finally when she had a nest that was somewhat easy to find, I would leave a golf ball in the nest and just pick up the fresh egg daily. Sure beats hunting all over.

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    We have a small trailer that we use to throw old scrap wood and such to take to the dump. Last time we emptied it we foud 48 eggs![​IMG] I have never seen so many in my life, and all from the one hen we had that could actually fly over the fence![​IMG]

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Oh Man, been there done that. My Wendy would find a place and as soon as I figured it out she'd move to a new place. The compost pile was one of her favorites. Now Sasha and Dove have a favorite spot under the deck. I just make sure to keep it covered in clean wood shavings and my 5 yo checks after school every day.
    Yes it would be easier if they used the coop but....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by