missing chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frannyfran, May 31, 2010.

1. frannyfran

frannyfran New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Hi all -- I'm a new member on this forum, and a new (and proud) owner of my own flock of nine chickens in my Atlanta backyard. Seven of them are normal size -- RIRs, buff orpingtons, an americana, and barred rocks. Yesterday we added two beautiful bantams to our flock. Immediately, they flew the coop, which we hadn't yet covered. We found them last night in the alley behind the house, and shut them in the coop...(it was a fun hour and a half of chasing them through blackberry brambles and abandoned lots).

This morning, I let them out into the run (which is now well-covered with some bird netting), and an hour later, one of the bantams was gone. I'm afraid she got out under the coop, where there is a little crawl space. I realize that this means our run isn't completely predator proof, but at this point, I'm most worried about getting this bantam back. I haven't seen her, and this neighborhood is full of dogs and feral cats. Is there anything I can do to tempt her to come home? Please help!

Thank you--

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Keep plenty of food available, & maybe that & the sound of the other chickens will entice it back. If it comes back, you might clip it's wing & close up the lower escape routes in the coop.

3. frannyfran

frannyfran New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Thanks for your help birdaholic -- I've put out food and I'm searching the neighboring properties for her. Please let me know if anyone else has any tricks for tempting back an escape artist hen...

4. frannyfran

frannyfran New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Good news -- found her under the coop, and now we've escape-proofed the whole run. Thanks for your help!

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm so glad for you. So many of these stories don't turn out so well. Its a good day....

6. frannyfran

frannyfran New Egg

May 31, 2010
    I know -- I was so worried. We're so glad to have her back. Thanks for your kind words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by