1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Chicken!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by theCandEs, Sep 27, 2010.

1. theCandEs

theCandEs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

One of our Barred Rock Hens is missing. We just saw her 45 min earlier, and now she is gone without trace. No feathers, no nothing. [​IMG] We have seen some hawks around. I guess one of them could have gotten her. We have five acres, but the flock usually stays together. We put all of the rest up when we noticed she was missing. What can you do about hawks? Do scarecrows work?

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    A hawk couldn't carry a grown BR off. It is more likely a coyote or fox. The just swoop in and grab a bird and are gone.

3. theCandEs

Sep 4, 2010
    She was only about 8 months old. Is that full grown?

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Is it possible she went broody and is just hiding a nest somewhere?

5. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    One of the few things you can do for predators is get a gaurd dog. I have one and have yet to lose a bird to hawks ewen though I see them all the time. I have heard that if you have a run with fishing line spread across the top and peices of plastic bags tied to the line it will scare them. Some people have had luck with decoy owls whos heads revolve in the wind (depending on how far they rome. Chickens that blend in with their surroundings are often hader for the hawk to spot.

Don't give up hope. I have had broody's hide before....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. theCandEs

Sep 4, 2010
    Really, that is entirely possible. She is very protective of her eggs, but we walked up and down the entire property. We called and called her, but no sign. [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Yes, that is full grown. A hawk can kill a full grown BR but they would eat it on the spot so don't drop your guard with them. If you have a fox or coyote it will be back. You need to have a very secure coop or get a trap...better yet..do both.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Look every place a chicken could squeeze into in your yard. It seems at least once a week someone posts a story here about losing a bird to a space they've gotten into but can't get out; they often find them some time later. Good luck!

9. theCandEs

Sep 4, 2010
    loverOFchickens, thank you! We are very sad right now. We have a labrador, but she is so old, she just lays around all day. We will have to try that with the bags. We might get an owl, too.

10. theCandEs

Sep 4, 2010
    Our coop is very secure, but we let them out during the day. I don't think anything can get in our coop. My husband was very careful when he made it. We did look everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by