Missing chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Strange_Screams, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    One of my chickens is missing, I'm so sad. I'm praying she has gone broody in the woods. I had one of my others go missing several months back, but she was much younger and didn't have a name yet, she had wondered to the neighbors yard through a hole in the fence, ended up finding her way back a couple of weeks later. But the coons have been more active lately. My landlord has started taking her cat food in at night, and we think the coons are moving towards the road to find food. I just hope she didn't suffer from heat stroke and is out there somewhere suffering. Its been so hot. I pray I find her tomorrow. Henny Penny if you got ate, I hope it was a swift death.

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    [​IMG] Sorry, hope Henny Penny finds her way home.

3. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    one of mine is missing also im afraid something must of gotten her shes too young to be broody im sad:([​IMG]

4. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    theres always hope, I had one come home 2 weeks after she went missin, Im crossin my fingers

5. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    She was my first chicken....[​IMG]

Shes a smart chicken,,,, please be in the woods in the morning, please please please

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    If its a hawk, there wont be any sound or sign of a struggle, just a missing bird. they swoop down and are gone in a flash...seen it with my own eyes. coons and possums make a mess getting to, and escaping with, the bird their after, plus you'll hear that god-awful fight. i keep watch for the hawks, and ive shot a bunch of coons, so i havent had any problems for a good while. i baited with dog food and kitchen scraps, and at times was able to shoot three or four at a time, so that stopped. possums are solitary and mostly are out at night, but i dont think they'rer near the problems coons and hawks are.

7. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    So, I read this in the AM.......Did you find her?[​IMG]

8. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Hope you were able to find her!

9. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    She was in the coop this morning, several of my neighbors help me with the chickens so, I dont know if one found her or I just cant count....sigh, I feel like an idiot

10. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    [​IMG] Yeah! A happy ending! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by