Missing chickens mystery

LaFleche

Meadow Devil
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
I know it happens but I haven't had any losses for quite a long time. I'm not the average backyard chicken owner. Currently I have around 400 birds minus 10 now. I started keeping chickens around 50 years ago and over the years have had many lessons learned the hard way. This is another lesson.
:hugs

cmom

Hilltop Farm
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have seen the female on camera many times. They do have routes and routines. Now I have seen a couple of kits that are now out hunting for themselves. I know they will all be back but have also seen a coyote and have noticed the same with them. One that had an injured right front foot was coming around quite often. A neighbor had seen it too. Apparently it got hit by a car.

Nov 11, 2020
West Virginia
A lone coyote wouldn't have taken this many chickens so its safe to assume it was the young kits . Because they're inexperienced they take risks an older fox wouldn't take.I smelled a red fox in my backyard recently but still haven't seen it on my camera.Coyotes and foxes don't usually hunt in the same territory.Coyotes kill them.

cmom

Hilltop Farm
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I recently learned that foxes smell like skunk sometimes. Did you smell anything like that?
I have eliminate some that have killed some of my birds in the past and yes they did stink. As long as they leave my birds alone I leave them alone. If they give it a try again I will eliminate them. One of the cameras at the coops went off last night but I didn't see what had set it off.

Top Bottom