Missing chickens mystery...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lullabyloo, Mar 24, 2013.

1. lullabyloo

lullabyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    UPDATE--
    Several days after having no luck locating my missing flock we discovered a den on a neighboring property. It had three separate entrances/exits all littered with feathers. Some I recognized and some from another neighbors flock. :( We believe this is just a stash den that they have stocked with food for their kits. Maybe in a few months when we fox proof the coop we'll try again. Right now, Bernadette, the lone bantam that survived is safely tucked away.

Yesterday evening I came home at approximately 6:30pm and saw my whole flock as I walked into the house. My flock consists of 1 barred rock rooster, 3 barred rock hens, 1 australorp hen, 3 black bantam hens (one with gold flecks) 3 white silkies, and 2 Muscovy ducks. This morning my flock failed to trip me as I walked out the door. I have owned all but 1 bantam since they were chicks and that is the only member of my flock I have found. She was pecking around the front yard as usual. She left an egg in the nest box. I have not found the other 10 chickens and 2 ducks. We have had problems with red foxes and even neighborhood dogs but this has me boggled. No feathers, no bodies. We had a storm come through late last night with heavy rain. No tracks be seen due the rain. In the past the dogs wiped out all they could catch but only took a couple home with them. The foxes have always took a few at a time to stretch the food source. We've searched everywhere surrounding our farm and have talked to most of the neighbors. Any suggestions on what could cause this many to disappear?

I guess I should add they would have to go through at least 2 fences (cattle wire) to leave our property unless they waddled off down the long driveway. They have never strayed further than the barn where their roost, nest boxes, and grain bins are kept.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh no! I don't know what happened, but could any of them be hiding under bushs or a deck? I hope they turn up.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmmm......2 legged predator?

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It sounds like a two legged pred, unless the same thing happened to your chickens that happened to George Lindsey's rooster, Stormy.

5. lullabyloo

lullabyloo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    scratch'n'peck- Thank you, we've been looking in the woods and pastures and haven't seen any of my flock members. My roo is very noisy I had hoped we'd hear him at some point. This evening I took a walk around the yard again and spotted a small clump of feathers in the corner of our back yard. Possibly Muscovy duck feathers but still a surprisingly small amount considering how many are missing. [​IMG] Not a good sign...
    aart- really hoping not...

We have an idea where a fox den may be and plan to look around the area for clues.

6. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I hope a least some of them make it back home. We have problems with bobcats so my chickens don't free range anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by