missing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kwallis, Sep 5, 2016.

1. kwallis

kwallis New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico, New York
    hi there, for starters I'm a teen and I'm new to this. I have a coop connected to a large fenced in area where goats used to live. I let my chickens run in the fenced area, it's about 4ft high and they like to fly over and run my yard. I live on a main road(a state route), and so there's a lot of traffic. my hens usually stay away from the road and I've checked the road to make sure they weren't road kill. I also have wooded land where the hens like to go once they escape. when I went to retrieve the eggs this morning a did a "pre-count" and I only counted 8 out of 9. then an hour later only counted 7. I'm not sure if I have any predators considering I live in upstate New York on a very busy street. I'm not aware of any Hawks and or foxes. my brother likes to hunt and so does my neighbor but not for chickens and I haven't heard of any predators. I'm not sure if I should alter the fenced in area since it isn't roofed but it seems too big to cover. and the hens like to roost in a nearby tree they can reach by being on the top of the fence. I'm just curious if it's possible if they ran off and will be back later when it's near feeding time, or if there was an attack. would love to hear tips :) thank you

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Bird could be laying eggs in the bushes, could be setting on a clutch, or could be nabbed by a predator, or could be trapped in something like a box. You will have to scour area thoroughly. I would confine balance until you get a handle on what is going on. Predators you have and likely in good numbers.

3. JChicken77

JChicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I agree that it could be a number of things. Hopefully she is just sitting on some eggs in the woods and will come home. I hope you find her. I lost a hen about a month ago too and she hasn't come back either[​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Sounds like you need a Coop/Run built....?
    Your birds should be kept in a safe place and let out to free range during times your home to watch them...

Cheers

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    If your birds roost in the trees, sooner or later you will lose them all. Either to raccoons or owls.

You need to create a 5 sided run and build a lockable coop for them, ASAP.
    Then lock them up in the run until they get them trained to return to the run and roost in the coop.

6. kwallis

kwallis New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico, New York
    i have a lockable coop, and i'm always home and so they free range. i will invest in a run, thank you to all that answered

7. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Can you cover the run with some chicken wire or netting to keep them inside the run? Mine also jump the fence to go out to the wood. I only let them free range when I am home but since the go into the woods,I have come to accept the losses to predators (hawks, foxes and coyotes). Hopefully you find your chickens.

8. kwallis

kwallis New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico, New York
    good news!! after 5 days my Penelope finally came home. i looked out the window and saw an orange object low to the ground in the fence and away from all the other chickens and it's her!! with the attached photo the top is what she looked like before and the bottom is her now. although she isn't the same loving penelope and more aggressive and skittish, i'm still happy to have her home![​IMG]

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    She is broody somewhere.

10. kwallis

kwallis New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico, New York
    should i get a baby chick and so she can be a mother? what should i do? i'm not really interested in a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by