1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Christine S, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Christine S

Christine S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    Hello All

I've followed your site for awhile, though this will be my first post.

I came home today to find one of my girls dead and three others missing. I suspect the one that is dead was attacked by a hawk that must have then gotten scared off by my dogs barking and didn't bother to make a meal of her. My three youngest are missing. I cannot find any sign of them being attacked other than their absence. There are not feathers laying around that do not match the chicken who was killed.

I am assuming that the missing three somehow got out of the back yard. My dilemma is that I have a fenced back yard with a gate. Will these chickens figure out how to get back in the yard? I have forced openings here and there in the fence so they have access to the yard.

Any other suggestions...I am so upset to think of my little girls out there overnight. [​IMG]

Thanks

Christine

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    We had one show up a week after a scare with a dog. She was out in the woods somewhere and we had looked for her and had given up. I hope yours come back. Sometimes they hide for a bit and then come back. Have my fingers crossed for you.[​IMG]

3. Christine S

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    Thanks. I live in town in a neighborhood...don't know if that is good or bad in this case.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    So sorry!

If they made it out of the yard they probably won't find their way back in easily. You might go out with whatever you usually give them for treats and try calling for them around the nearest good cover. I doubt they went very far, probably hunkerd down tight in the first best cover they could find. It can take awhile for them to come out after major trauma like a predator attack so don't give up on them if you don't find them right away. If you don't find them before dusk be sure to go out and look/call around your fence line around their usual bed time since they might be trying to find their way back around then. Don't forget to update.

[​IMG] and sorry your first post was under such sad circumstances.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have openings for now, and leave the gate open, that's good, keep watch till sundown then again at first light. (yeah, early hours! but it's an emergency) I'll bet they just got scared away and will try to 'come home to roost'. There's a reason for that old saying!!!!

We'll all keep good thoughts for you and your chicks, there's really very good hope that they are just off hiding from the threat and will return as soon as they calm down.

Oh, and [​IMG] Very happy to meet you! Glad you're here! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy your stay with us!! [​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    This is terribly sad.

I would search and search and gently call them. They may be lost and need you to find them.

I hope very much the others will be found and that they are okay.

If you have kind neighbors, you may want to ask them to keep their dogs very much in control - even in their own yards - till you find your girls.

JJ

7. Christine S

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    Whew! They are home! I pulled up some fence panels, and within 30 minutes they were in the run.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Now I can mourn Kathy properly without worrying about the fate of the others. She was my first. [​IMG]

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG] so glad the rest of your girls made it back home.

[​IMG] about Kathy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by