Missing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heerchickchick, May 25, 2010.

1. heerchickchick

heerchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Lakeland Fl
    Someone help! 6 of my chickens r missing.. no sign anywhere on my 5 acres of pretty much open land...there r a few little wooded areas that they like to go to to rest or scratch..they were still around at about 7 last night...went to check on everyone to make sure they were roosting and everybody was in place around 11... no chickens. I had 2 of my arucanas go missing last week.. now my 2 barred cochin roos, 2 barred rock hens, and the last 2 arucana hens all gone..
    I have RIR's and austrolorps as well these guys roost separately from the group thats missing...very strange..they do all free range together..but they stay separate from each other once in a blue moon the rir's roos will pick on the group thats missing... i am out of ideas about happened to them.. we have 2 pomeranians that will bark at everything and it seems like whatever happened, happened during daylight hours for some reason..
    I did find a few feathers on the other side of fence in neighbors yard...i could tell they were from one of my cochin roos..by the coloring...would they have just wandered off?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might look through these links to see if they help you. It is always possible it was something else, like fox or maybe a pack of coyotes, but my guess is that you have a human predator. The chickens are not going to wander away during the night on their own and most things will leave clues behind. A mama raccoon may carry one chicken back to feed er young ones, but her carrying that many doesn't sound right. And if she were teaching her young to hunt, there would be clues.

Oklahoma State – Clues to predators
    http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Rendition-3573/unknown

Predator Sticky
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18670

Good luck! This is a rough one.

3. heerchickchick

heerchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Lakeland Fl
    Yeah i though about the human predator as well.. its just really odd that that many chickens go missing all at one time...and we have searched and searched to find clues..nothing...our male pom stays out alot at night.. and u would have thought if it were coyotes he would have let us know we also have geese that would have warned us as well.. they sleep in the same 6 ft privacy fenced area that the missing chickens do..anyways thanks for your info..my suspisions r someone caught them and put them in stew pot..[​IMG] pisses me off! they hadnt even started laying yet..and my cochins were very friendly roos.. they would let u pick them and hold them..instead of running away..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by