missing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heerchickchick, May 25, 2010.

1. heerchickchick

heerchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Lakeland Fl
    will chickens just wander off in the daytime? my 2 cochin roos, 2 barred rock hens, and 2 americaunas hens are missing. last seen around 7 last nite...couldnt find hide nor feather at around 11 last nite..and havent seen them today. 2 americauna hens went missing last week in broad daylight..all about 14 wks+ of age. very strange indeed.[​IMG]

2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Mine will disappear into the woods to go foraging but always return home if called or when it gets dark. They are very good about putting themselves to bed come the evening.
    How far can they roam? Seems strange that all 6 disappeared like that. Maybe someone enticed them home and they are at a neighbor's place?

3. heerchickchick

heerchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Lakeland Fl
    yeah thats the only thing i can figure out.. because they too put themselves to bed at nite and we go out and do a head count every nite aroud 10 or 11..and make sure they r secure..i have had one of my rir roos chasing them about some. maybe they just got tired of him being a bully and decided to go elsewhere.. i have taken a walk down the road we live on to see if i see or hear them to no avail. we have geese and ducks as well so it had to have happened some time yesterday late afternoon/ evening when we were out..Ihate not knowing..makes me scared for my other chickens..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by