Missing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kuntrygirl70, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Kuntrygirl70

Kuntrygirl70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Does any one know what will kill a turkey in a coop but not eat it? I know something is killing my birds I just found 2 bannies, 1 chicken,& horribly our 1st baby chick that hatched completely gone. Well the head was missing from honey (chicken)and I found 2 legs from tuffy(banny). I think I narrowed it to coon or weasle. Any other suggestions?

2. pottymouthspoultry

pottymouthspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Adirondack Mountains
    Friends have had fishers (weasel family) kill an entire flock, but not eat them... also have had small weasels (ermine) chew heads off and leave both body and head uneaten... must be the thrill of the kill. Hope you are able to figure out who/what the culprit is and exterminate it/them. Sorry for the loss... maybe the missing birds are hiding and will return home when they feel the danger has passed.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    fisher cat would have killed every bird in the area. They are vicious aggressive predators. I would be looking for a coon.

4. Kuntrygirl70

Jun 22, 2011
    ya, with further research of the coop area im sure it was a coon. Im not sure if we have fishers here in michigan, but with all do respect, I have a live trap and a Remington, to bad coon![​IMG] thanks!

5. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    A can of cheap cat food works great in a trap for coons. HAPPY HUNTING:D and good luck.

6. Kuntrygirl70

Jun 22, 2011
    As we thought yesterday it was a coon, went out to feed this morning to my horror 2 more chickens dead & gone. Dont think it was a coon, something smaller like a mink or weasle. Found the hole under the fence not big enough for a coon. But the trap was set, nothing. Nothing but my 2 favorite chickens gone. What a horrible morning. Know where we r putting the trap tonite! Why dont they take the meat chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by