1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Missing Chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IslandFarmgirl, Dec 1, 2014.

1. IslandFarmgirl

IslandFarmgirl New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    Yesterday before going on a trip I fed and watered my chickens but failed to secure their run properly. All 8 of my hens escaped and only 3 came home last night. I'm going crazy trying to find the remaining 5. How far may they have wandered? If they aren't home already are they probably dead?

2. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Take a good look around your property and see if you spot any piles of feathers, wings, etc. There are certain predators that will actually leave those parts behind. Do you live in the city or country? Do you know what predators you could possibly be dealing with? Do you have any neighbors that have chickens? If so, check with them to see if your birds wandered over there.

3. IslandFarmgirl

IslandFarmgirl New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    I've been around to all the neighbours this morning and am going for another walk at lunch. There are occasionally dogs that people allow to wander but that is illegal in my area now (as of recently) so hopefully that hasn't happened. The largest rodent in the area is muskrat. Their are racoons on the island but I've never seen one in this area of the island. We are rural. None of my neighbours have chickens.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  4. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
  5. IslandFarmgirl

IslandFarmgirl New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    Does anyone have experience of chickens escaping then coming home the next evening, or the evening after?

6. IslandFarmgirl

IslandFarmgirl New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    Day three, found two in a tree on a nearby property. Going back out soon to search for the others.

7. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    That is wonderful news!! Hope you can locate the others!!

You may want to add some vitamins and electrolytes to their water, since they may have gone without. You can buy it at any farm supply store.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by