missing chicks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by alanabug, May 11, 2016.

1. alanabug

alanabug Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Bishopville, S.C.
    Something is eating my baby chicks that my moma hen hatched. one to two aday. It is completely enclosed with wire in the bottom sides. I did find one hole under wire and can't find the end. about a silver dollar size. I'm thinking snake. But my husband says it wouldn't take one every day or two a day. Happens mid day, Can a snake do this, why ain't the other three adults killing it, and what to do about it? I did find one tore off wing yesterday. and feathers in a laying box one day.
    At first I thought that the cat was getting them because the babies kept breaking out and fixed where the door had a crack and whatever it is in getting them inside the closed pen.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm thinking you have a rat problem.

3. alanabug

Jul 15, 2015
    Bishopville, S.C.
    Rats would eat a chick? I saw a field mouse.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yep. Rats are opportunistic and will not pass up a young chick. Snakes won't leave feathers and pieces behind. They swallow prey whole.

5. alanabug

Jul 15, 2015
    Bishopville, S.C.
    All I saw was a field mouse when we moved there metal laying box, would that be the culprit or the tunnel we saw?.Should I put poison behind there laying box where the mouse lives? What should I do?

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That was my first thought, too.

Yes - rats will eat chicks, eggs, feed, and whatever else they can get ahold of.

No - the mouse would not be the culprit. Rats are the most likely suspects in my opinion. I say "rats" because where there is one, there are many. I have used poison to get rid of them. If you go that route (and I can't think of any other effective thing to do), make sure you put the poison where the chickens or any other unintended targets can't get it.

7. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    Do you get mink, ferrets, or weasels?

8. alanabug

Jul 15, 2015
    Bishopville, S.C.
    I think my husband said we get weasels. So whatever has that tunnel leading out of the pen is the culprit?

9. alanabug

Jul 15, 2015
    Bishopville, S.C.
    He said weasels were not common though.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most likely a gopher dug the tunnel. But there are lots of critters that utilize gopher tunnels, like rats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by