Missing comb on 4 1/2 week old

LRL

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
We are new chicken owners, and have a small flock of 6 chickens. They are almost 5 weeks old and are still inside the house, but will be moved out to their coop this weekend. All six of the chickens had developed little combs on their heads. This evening we noticed that the comb on one of the chickens is totally gone, it looks like it broke off.... it is almost like when you break a piece of candy corn in half (that sort of breakage texture). Upon noticing this, we also noticed that another one of the chickens has redness around it's comb as though it has been picked at.

Is there some sort of comb disease, or do I have hens bulling each other? They are all the same size (roundabout) and I don't think anyone is a rooster. I just can't figure it out. Does anyone have any insight/advice?

Last edited:
um pictures of the broken one???

I'm thinking if you're noticing redness it's probably a baby rooster
wink.png

Well, the one with the missing comb is an Easter Egger. I swear she had a comb yesterday, a small one, but the ridges were there.

DARN IT. The one with the redness near the comb is my 3 1/2 year olds chicken (DRATS. I KNEW we shouldn't have let him pick one out!). I am going to cross my fingers that it is a little hen!
smile.png
I don't care if the rest are roosters, but that one HAS to be a hen.

I will have to have my husband take photos tomorrow to post- they are living at my Mother-in-laws house. Thanks for the welcome, I feel bad posting for help as my first post.
sad.png

Last edited:
Don't worry, that's how many new people find their way here!

If the comb itself turns red on any bird that young, it's going to be a roo. If it's just pale yellow/pink, you still have some luck.

Back
Top Bottom