Missing Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lady Quack, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Lady Quack

Lady Quack New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Manassas, VA
    I went to check on my momma duck and her babies this morning and two of the ducklings were missing. She was quacking and definitely agitated and wanted out of the coop ASAP.
    I'm not sure what could have got them. The coop can be secured closed but the door can swing open a little (maybe 1") at the bottom. There's a nest with 3 eggs in the coop that wasn't touched. I'm wondering if a snake took them. I don't think anything bigger would have been able to get in.
    The pen the coop is in is pretty secure as well. Fully enclosed and we've modified it over the year, as raccoons have made it inside.
    I think I'll be moving the eggs and last duckling into the house for now.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC @Lady Quack You say 1"? a mink can get into a 1" opening and it is amazing what a duckling can get through. So if they got outside somehow something could have picked them off out there. That 1" opening needs to be closed. Very sorry for your loss.

3. Lady Quack

Lady Quack New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Manassas, VA
    Thank you! I look here for tips all the time since I've only been raising duck for a little over a year. My dad didn't think we had weasels or mink around but, I definitely saw they are all over North America. I'm working on fixing every little gap I can. Thank you so much @Miss Lydia

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you. Hope everyone is is still safe. We don't see most preds they are very sly and sneaky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by