Missing ducks

Lady EE

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Earth
Hi,

A couple days ago, we noticed that one of our drakes was missing. We thought he went to a nearby pond, but he never came back. Today, we found a drake in the hen house that was mauled from the rear, and one of our hens was missing. We think that the other 2 hens only escaped because they flew out the nest box, and that one hen was carried off, and whatever it was that killed it wasn't able to make off with the drake. we can't figure out what it is.. Thanks!

We recently had our beautiful (one & only) pea hen killed. Her behavior made it obvious that something had her disturbed for several days. Our biggest problem is a pack of coyotes. We also have fox. I'm now looking into obtaining a guard dog to live with new pen hens chicks. I'm thinking a Komondor, but looking at other breeds too.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Martha

If the birds are free ranging, it could have been anything.

With multiple deaths at the same time, the most likely candidates are dogs, foxes, or weasels. Weasels can't carry off a large hen, so if entire birds are gone, it might not be weasels. Although, the weasels could do the killing and something else carry the body away.

Since the birds have access to a pond, it could have been something in the water; snapping turtle, alligator, otter, mink, giant Pike. It could have been coyotes, raccoons, bobcat, even a domestic cat.

Most predators grab a meal and carry it off and then they won't be back until that has all been eaten. For sure, whatever is killing your birds will be back because it has found an easy meal. I suggest that you pen them up in such a way that whatever is killing them can no longer reach them.

Back
Top Bottom