Missing eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ausash, Sep 28, 2007.

1. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    We went away for the weekend and when we came back there were 22 eggs from my eight laying hens. Well that was on Monday that we came back and today is Friday and there has not been a single egg from anybody that we can find. They are not moulting, have not laid anywhere else because I have searched and if there is an animal than it is too tiny to run with the eggs because we have an electric fence and it would have to go through the fence holes, also there are not broken shells anywhere that would indicate egg eating. I usually get at least 6-7 eggs a day so it is strange that absolutely noone is laying. Any suggestions as to what is going on here? [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmm, that does sound fishy. Maybe they are mad that you was gone, and went on strike? LOL Hope you figure it out soon.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sounds like it may be more snakey than fishy to me. [​IMG]

4. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I had the same thing happen. It was a snake that even ate the golf balls I put down for the ladies. Guess the snake had a "reaction" to the golf balls, hasn't been back since.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    You know we thought of the snake thing but the problem is that the snake would have to get about 4ft off the ground into the nesting box and then it would be eating about 6 eggs a day for the past 4 days. I just can't picture a snake doing that but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am just really baffled by all this and am seriously missing my eggs and even threatened them and told them if they don't provide me with food I won't provide them with food [​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Collecting eggs often, is good flock management. Eggs will easily get broken when the numbers rise in the nest boxes, teaching the hens that it's good food, ( including the shell, that's almost 100% calcium ). I would make sure that eggs are collected often, and keep a close eye to make sure. I would have someone collect eggs and feed the hens if you aren't going to be around on a daily basis. Good Luck!

bigzio

7. evaraye

evaraye Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2007
    South Louisiana
    We have had a similiar thing happen... we were collecting up to 5 eggs a day then one day we got 1 egg. the next day... 1 egg... then I collected one in the early morning.. at about 10 am my hubby found 2 in the nest box, but he left them in for me to collect when I got home from work... later after lunch he went to check on things because we have been so suspicious that we might have a snake... and one egg was missing... with no trace of it anywhere... we were almost certain that it must be a snake... but in examining some of the eggs, it looks like they are all scratched up, like the chickens are scratching at them... we have one hen who sits on her egg or any golf balls... she is so docile and gentle... I named her "Mother Hen"... we did find clear liquid spots in the coop and this morning several chickens were pecking at the liquid solution. could they be eating the eggs... maybe we don't have a snake... maybe its a bit of both... our neighbor found a snake skin shed in his garage... looks like it is about 6feet long and he says it's an egg eater...

Well I'm baffled... I have 18 hens and we started getting eggs 3 weeks ago... we collected 18 eggs the first week... 23 the second week... 16 this week... and one of the eggs this week was so cute... it was the size of a nickel... crazy... we did get quite a few big ones the second week, but now this week, all we had were small ones... and one hen lays eggs that are sorta flat on one side... the eggs don't roll... very odd...

But we are having so much fun! I hope we don't have a snake... Ughhh... and I hope my hens are not eating the eggs... if anyone has a solution to our problem... please......... post a reply....

BLESSINGS! Eva

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    To me, it sounds like someone is beating you to the eggs. Is the hen house in clear sight? Do you have a lock on the door?

When hens eat eggs, usually they are not too neat. Look them over carefully. Any signs of yolk on their beak? Check the nest material.

Hens usually only eat one or two, not ten or fifteen. I suspect a two legged predator. Do you have homeless people in the area?

Rufus

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:A big enough snake could easily reach the nest box but...
    A snake wouldn't eat 6 eggs in a week, so NEXT!

10. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Quote:A big enough snake could easily reach the nest box but...
    A snake wouldn't eat 6 eggs in a week, so NEXT!

More than one would. Today when walking the farm, I found the remnants of one snake and one golf ball. Am still looking for another one.
    Edited to add: I had at least 4 eggs missing from my banty nest and all the ones the others had laid that day, I usually get between 4-6. Snakes will gorge themselves preparing for winter and then take a few days off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by