Missing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HobbyChickener, Oct 13, 2007.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I am truely not sure if the eggs are getting taken or they are just not laying anymore. How do I tell? I added new bedding to the nesting barrels and I haven't gotten an egg since. I looked in all the hiding places and nothing. My birds don't free range so there is not any "new" spots for them to be putting eggs in. Is something getting them? I have a good alarm system on the coupe that nothing gets past so it isn't obvious if something is going in there. What do I do? How do I figure this one out?

It has been getting a little cooler here at night but only low 50 upper 40 so I wouldn't think it was because they were cold.

There is no sign that somwthing is eating eggs there (no shells).

Any thoughts ?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

A snake possibly..........I don't think they would set off an alarm.that is what is taking mine in the henhouse.....are you able to watch it at laying time maybe?see if they are even squaking like they do when laying?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Maybe their in a molt?...that will put egg production to a halt...days are getting shorter...a number of things other than a varmit getting them...my hens always slow down in Oct. and Nov. in egg production...I sometimes have to stand and hopefully wait for an egg to plop out if I want to bake something at the last minute!...lol

4. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    How do I tell if they are in molt? I think I know when laying time is I will check again then (late afternoon?)

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Snakes and rats will steal eggs and leave NO signs.

6. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    That is my fear but I am not sure I believe it. Haven't heard a ruccus in the coop and those birds don't miss anything. If it is this though, how do you cure it? I am really hopeing for the molt, and it might be stress - to many Roo's.

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    that's how cold it is here, although it may be warmer where i live. My banty cochin is going through molt, so don't throw out that possibility. Pick up a random chicken, does it have pin feathers? also, are there feathers under the roosts, in the run, etc?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by