Missing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick_in_Indiana, May 14, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    My chickens have always laid their eggs in the coop. Even my guineas will lay where the hens do. Now for whatever reason I have went from 6 eggs a day to 2 or 3. The other day I had 3 green, the next day 5, then yesterday only 2 brown eggs. I have 3 barns that they have range of and have looked all over and cant find anything. I have tried leaving them in the coop until about 10 ot 11 but all but 1 lay in the evening. How can I get them to start laying where I want them to. I have 3 boxes for 7 hens, even though they dont like them. They usually lay in a nest they made on top of a straw bale. Any advice would be great.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I hope there will be some very interesting answers coming. John

3. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    If they have a spot that they already like, your gonna have to confine them to the coop for weeks. My girls had a spot that they loved outside, but I made them a spot that I preferred. I locked them in, and they didn't lay as many eggs that week. The next few weeks, I let them out only after each of them had laid an egg. Now I can let them free-range, and they always lay in the nest.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Try putting some fake eggs or even golf balls in the nest boxes where you want them to lay.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My chickens also free range and love to find new places to lay eggs. Yesterday I found yet another hidden nest in our old barn in a fruit crate, nailed to wall behind the stairs. There were a dozen eggs and a really long rat snake in there. I waited for rat snake to leave to gather the eggs.

My technique has been to leave an egg or two in a nest that I find that is in an acceptable spot - i.e. in the feed troughs where I placed hay. If I leave an egg or two they will continue to lay in the nest the next day and I don't have to search for a new one. If I gather them all, they find another place. When I find nests in spots that I don't want them laying, like under bushes in the yard, I gather all eggs and try to destroy the nest as much as possible.

They do have nest boxes in their coop but I now have to keep the run gate closed because I have so many baby chicks/ducks in there that the big chickens that free range sometimes will jump the fence to get in/out and lay in nest boxes but they had already discovered the old barn so I just went with the flow instead of fighting it. I got tired of looking for nests every day so I repaired the old feed troughs and put hay in them and that's where they'll usually lay.

6. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I'm having the same problem. Mine are in a large fenced area, and each day about 6 out of 30 get out. I KNOW they are laying eggs somewhere, and I am not finding the nests. (I know a couple of their hiding spots). Do you think that if i coop them up for a few days they will lay in the coop? Will they revert? I need these eggs![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by