1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missing eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by floman13, Oct 12, 2013.

1. floman13

floman13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    I got 9 baby chickens in April they all started laying with in the past month. my chickens free range during the day and go up at night they all seem to be laying in the boxes however this past week I've gotten no eggs for my 2 eastereggers can they stop laying or should I assume they are laying somewhere in the yard

2. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    could be either. If you see more feathers than normal laying around they could have gone into moult as well. A few of ours stopped laying for about 4 weeks when the days started shortening.

3. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    They might not be laying for these reasons: They might have a health issue, they might be hiding thier eggs, they may not have proper nurtrition, thier eggs might have been stolen by a pest, they might be moulting or have stopped laying to build up body reseves.[​IMG]
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. floman13

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    They are free fed layer pellets and free range every day plus get fresh fruits, scratch and meal worms as treats. I don't think its pest unless they only like blue eggs :) The girls all act and seem to be in great health. They are 6 months old could they already be molting? The nody reserve maks sense we are in south Carolina so its still very warm here 70-80 day time 60s at night

5. cackleberrycam

Sep 28, 2013
    Then they probably are hiding them from you! Do they do thier egg song?
    They might be done with thier laying cycle too.

6. floman13

Mar 18, 2013
    Awendaw, SC
    That's what I'm afraid of. I guess ill have to keep everyone in their run and coop for a while to get them back in the boxes. They are gonna be angry!

7. cackleberrycam

Sep 28, 2013
    One way to make them want to lay in the nesting box is to leave an egg inside the nesting box, because when you take all the eggs they just get mad and lay somwhere else!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by