Missing feather!!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luzmvelarde56, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Luzmvelarde56

Luzmvelarde56 Hatching

Jun 19, 2018
    So one of chickens , a beautiful Partridge Wyandotte has some of her back feathers missing. I believe a dog must have pulled them off when she goes away. What I mean by “when she goes away” is that right before the sun sets she’ll sneak through the gate that leads into the front yard and she just lay on the grass or walk on it, but she never leaves any farther than that. So I suppose a dog must have seen her and tried to attack, only pulling some feathers off her but she made it into the back yard again and the dog didn’t get her.
    I just want to know what I can do. I’ve already closed off the little whole that leads to the front yard. And I put her in a cage for the night just in case.
    My concern is what else can I do??? How long is it going to take to grow those feathers back?? Can she die?? Please tell me any issues that can happen. She also has this black spot I haven’t seen before so what can that be??
    I’ve attached three pics of how she is currently. Since this happen tonight around 7/8ish. Three of the pictures are of how she’s is currently. I’ve also attached two so you can seen how she was.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!! F6A8D035-8AAC-4918-85D1-95854EAF7E2E.jpeg 16C196B6-04BB-4559-B4B5-579F4F8F7394.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Valhalla Acres

Valhalla Acres Songster

Jul 13, 2017
    Deer Creek IL
    I have partridge wyandottes too and I had something similar to this happen to one of my hens. Is there a rooster that lives with her? Over mating could be the problem. I simply bought some feather growth booster food and she grew the feathers back in a few weeks. I don't know what the black spot is, but it might be bruising.

3. Luzmvelarde56

Luzmvelarde56 Hatching

Jun 19, 2018
    No. I only have her since she doesn’t like being with other chicks. I do have a lamb but he doesn’t bother her. Where did you buy the booster food? Thanks!

Valhalla Acres likes this.
  4. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Are you 100% sure this happened in one day? That area is a big preening area for birds and birds get itchy during the summer before molt and can overpreen themselves.

5. Valhalla Acres

Valhalla Acres Songster

Jul 13, 2017
    Deer Creek IL
    It's called feather fixer and I get it from farm and fleet

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How much run and coop space do you have (square foot of each)?

Observe your girl, is she over preening? Check her for lice and mites, also observe your other flock members, is any one pulling/picking at her feathers especially during roosting time.

Kathy Golla, Valhalla Acres and boz like this.
  7. Luzmvelarde56

Luzmvelarde56 Hatching

Jun 19, 2018
    How can I stop her from overpreening.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she overpreening, that's the question:)

Kathy Golla likes this.
  9. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

I think it looks like feather pecking. My poor Margo looks like that all year round, no thanks to her flock mate, Bagheera, who has a bad habit of plucking out her lower back feathers. The problem was temporarily fixed with a high protein feed, but returned. How much space do they have and what do they eat? You could also try a saddle on her to let her feathers grow back. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by