1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

missing feathers...not moulting...havent seen other chickens attacking or self-plucking...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BierHuhn, Mar 27, 2017.

1. BierHuhn

BierHuhn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2015
    i have 3 chickens. this one was brought in a couple of weeks after we got the other two, and has been somewhat of an outcast since. they started theyre first big moult about mid-fall, which seemed to last quite a while. the other 2 have been looking back to normal for a while now, but not this lady. at first i thought maybe she had mites, but her comb and wattle are not pale, besides, wouldnt they all have them then?! ive tried to inspect her, but it's near impossible. i have caught our top hen nip at her every now and then when i bring them treats, as if to say get out of here, but i have never seen her truly get pecked at or do it to herself either. any thoughts for answers?! Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    She could have possibly been attacked by some predator.

3. BierHuhn

Oct 20, 2015
    chickenweirdo1, thanks, but thats not possible as they are enclosed.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you have a hard time catching her during the day, wait until dark and take her from the roost.

Check her over for lice/mites. Inspect the area that has feather loss to see if there is new growth/pin feathers coming in. Another hen may be plucking out the feathers. You may not see this during the day - a lot of feather picking goes on at night while roosting.

5. BierHuhn

Oct 20, 2015
    wyorp rock, thanks. i guess i'll have to try that! any suggestions on how to not cause her pain while doing so?! ive read pin feathers can be quite sensitive. so, you think its possible she could have lice or mites, while the other two are unaffected?! if she appears to be lice/mite free, and i assume it is another hen picking on her...any idea what can be done about that?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by