Missing feathers on back and near tail - area is very raw.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Julie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Julie

Julie New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    (2) of my adult chickens are raw and very red on their back near the tail. Can't see any mites, etc...but it is flaming red. I'm pretty sure they are NOT being plucked by another chicken. Stripped the coop and boxes. Used a poultry spray on the inside and dusted the nesting boxed beore re bedding. the spray actually gave some relief for a day or two but today they were bad again. I could try the powder...any suggestions?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Do you have a rooster???

3. Julie

Julie New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    No rooster...

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Do you have a very masculine hen?

5. Julie

Julie New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    No

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Cause it almost sounds like their being over mated! If you don't have a roo then you definetly have a feather picker in the bunch!! Get some Blue Kote from Tractor Supply or from your feed store and spray them down. I also read a post last night where someone recommended using noxema or the store brand kind. Said they hate the taste of it!!

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. Julie

Julie New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    I would think I would see the feathers around....
    Thank you for the suggestions. I get them both - Thanks again

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a hen that habitually pecks her own feathers on her back.... and she is bald back there... she doesn't peck any of the other hens, just the back and neck of the roo.... and he is a sorry site too.

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:They could be eating the evidence. All those feathers had to go somewhere. Bluekote will stop the feather pulling to allow them to heal. It may not stop the feather pecker/eater though. Observe them to see who the main culprit is. May need to get some pinless peepers for that one.

10. hcsarg

hcsarg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I have a similar problem in my flock, but it is strictly an over mating problem. Will the Blue Kote deter the Rooster from approaching her? She has been bare backed for close to 2 months now. Is it possible that by now she could be scarred to the point that her feathers will not come back in? I have never noticed any bleeding at any time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by